Whoa locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

coldkiwi

Burning Hunk
May 2, 2012
Socal
Wow , I put 2 9-10" dia x 12" rounds in the Freedom last night around 9 on a bed of coals and the fan is still running at 9.10 this morning.
Probably 2.5 year seasoned locust.

My favorite firewood. Easy to split, gives long hot burn times.

Fan just turned off at 10.15am. 13 hours, about as good as it gets for the freedom.

The best firewood you can get it is about all I have been burning lately. Burns very hot as you can see.

IMG_8336.JPG
Half a load of locust and soft maple tonight ! All nighter wood.

Reactions: lopiliberty
I just css about a full cord of locust two months ago. I can't wait to burn it....in a year or two.

Don't burn it up, it makes great fence posts that last 50 years here in Georgia. There are some on my property that were put in the ground in the 1980's. Not rotted. You can still drive a staple into them and have it hold. Better than creosote posts.

It is getting harder to find here as the farmers are removing so many of the fence rows to gain tillable soil. I understand what they are doing but it is sad to see the trees being pushed into huge piles and burnt.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I will have to look around for some more locust, I have a ton of oak already to go.People around here do not rate locust as a good wood to burn so I may be able to pick some up cheap.I love my oak though.

Black locust was my favorite though it wasn't nearly as pleasant smelling to burn as cherry, but most of the wood at the farm I used to cut were those two. Tons and tons of standing dead locust. Since the wife and I split up now I got to scrounge, all I have ever been able to scrounge is EAB ash and some spruce. Ash is good but not as dense as locust. I bet I could get a solid 24 hrs or more on locust with the Ideal Steel but I've never had any to try.

We have yet to get out of shoulder mode here in N. Ga. Burning a load every other day or so to take the chill off, mostly Poplar and Pine. When we do get a cold snap (lows in the teens or twenties) I have been tossing a Sweet Gum round on the coals before bed. It burns all night leaving me a hot bed to reload onto in the morning. It sounds like Locust might be even better. I wish we had some growing here, I would love to try it.