Whoa... this stuff is the bomb for cold starts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thisoldgoat

Burning Hunk
Dec 26, 2017
Rice County MN
Pack firebox. Plop a chunk of this on top. Touch a match to it and away we go.

firestarter.jpg

What is that? Shredded up cardboard? Looks like it would work really well.

What is that? Shredded up cardboard? Looks like it would work really well.
It's a cushioning material found in parcels received... a non-corrugated cardboard mesh. While I'm too tight to buy this stuff, it's easy enough to save it throughout the year.

Reactions: Shrewboy
You need to be cautious when you use something that burns extremely fast as a fire starter. Many chimney fires happen on Christmas day when uninformed wood burners decide to light a fire in their mostly unused fireplace and then decide to dispose of their Christmas presents wrapping paper by burning it in the fireplace. It incinerates in an instant, shooting up the flue, snagging on some creosote and then the entire chimney is on fire! Using a fast burning paper product like in your photo might react in a similar fashion. Also, during this time of year some roofs might still have a lot of dry leaves sitting on them if the owners haven't cleared them from the roof (if there are a lot of big trees around like on our property). LIght weight paper materials that send large pieces up the flue can escape the chimney, even with a screen on the cap, and even a small ember can quickly ignite a pile of dry leaves.

Reactions: Shrewboy
Can't say I've ever gotten packages with that stuff. We do eat a lot of eggs though and a nice paper egg carton and some papers that we would normally shred or burn do a good job starting a fire. Usually use some kiln dried hardwood scraps from a cabinet shop also.

My wife drinks a lot of milk packaged in half gallon cartons that are made of waxed or plasticized paper product. I cut them up (cut off top and bottom and then cut lengthwise into inch and half wide strips) and use them as fire starters. They burn at a nice pace and just a few strips will usually start a fire with decent kindling.

Reactions: kcmclellan
Yeah - that stuff is great, though I havent seen any in a while. Usually those plastic air-pillows these days.

I got hooked on fat wood years back. A couple of sticks under the kindling and it goes.
+1 fatwood. I use the top down method. 2 sticks on top of the kindling, a quick light with the blow torch, and it's off to the races.

I did some renovation work for a woman in a 100 year old victorian house, with walls made of lath and plaster. I demolishing some walls, I saved bags full of lath. Great for starting fires in the stove. It's 100 years old, so dry enough!

I’m all about the super cedars. 1/4 puck with just some smaller logs and I’m good. Only use kindling when restarting a fire from hot coals.

Reactions: webfish
I did some renovation work for a woman in a 100 year old victorian house, with walls made of lath and plaster. I demolishing some walls, I saved bags full of lath. Great for starting fires in the stove. It's 100 years old, so dry enough!
I did the same thing, it crackles when it burns for some reason. It was so desiccated that even a match next to it will light it on fire. I am worried now because the walls of my house are made with it 😳😂