Whole house fan through 8" ceiling adaptor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I remove my stove during the off season and was thinking the chimney might be a cheap and easy way to vent a whole house fan. Has anybody tried this? If so, did you find a fan that was easy to mount?

An 8" exhaust can only exhaust so much air,,leaving you too most likely only be able to crack select windows. Not certain how well the "whole house " will recycle. A couple years ago I installed a high tech attic fan made by Airscape, I believe. Uses next to no power and utilizes 4 large computer fans. Its not the loud brawny attic fan which sucks your curtains off the wall, but the proper amount select windows are opened for the evening leaves my two story very cool in the morning. The cost savings at night , along with my unit kicking on 4 to 5 hrs. after everyone elses during the day,,,i feel my return investment. Of course the house gets closed up in the morning! Of course the AC does it all once the Mid-West humidity shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.