Who's burning already??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just an hour or two the past 2 weeks to take the chill out in the morning. Not even a half a bag yet.

Into it since beginning of October, maybe 10 bags or so...I like it warm.

I'm in about 7 bags since around October 1st. Mostly to take the chill off in the AM or during those cold rainy days we have had lately.

No. I burn wood and pellets because I am a cheap bastard. Every year I try to hold out until Halloween. Every year my wife forces me to heat by mid October with some weird objection to wear a coat and hat in the house. Women, huh? It's been warm enough around here that I may make to November this year.

On bag #3... about an hour in the morning and again in early evening. Sitting on 3.5 tons and looking for another ton of shoulder pellets this weekend. Hope my HD has been restocked. Should be in the 60-45 range going forward so I expect to pick up smartly. House stove is cleaned and running. Garage stove needs to be cleaned and primed this weekend.

mike56 said:
Already burned 1-1/2 bags, there is something to be said about starting the stove in the morning and sitting there with a cup of coffee watching the fire.
And I thought I was the only one doing that! In fact, the stove
just started so coffee is next! Enjoy!!
Working on 3rd bag burning mornings and evenings.

Been burning occassionally to knock off the chill the past couple of weeks. The past three days has been cold enough to burn from evening until late morning. Currently 32 degrees in Southwest VA.

Started burning 1st week in Oct, just at night on low to take the chill out. Was 50"s inside home on frost nights, stove warmed to 69-72. As of yesterday we burned around the clock.

Low 40s around here in the evening and we are off to the races. Burn baby burn.

Started burning for the first time this morning. Temp outside was 47. In order to let it burn for a couple hours to get rid of the first burn of the season smell, I had to open the windows.

Started burning 10/10/11 just in the early mornings to take the chill off before I get up for work. I just opened bag # 4 this morning.....burning the Northern Wood Pellets (Curran) as my early shoulder season pellet. My opinion on them? Eh.

imacman said:
.....burning the Northern Wood Pellets (Curran) as my early shoulder season pellet. My opinion on them? Eh.

How's the smell on your batch?

Looks like the boss was also chilly this morning. She has put on a sweat shirt and was trying to fiddle with the stat. I had it set to 65ºF, Its now set to 72ºF. There was an evil stare when no noise came from below! I'd say I better go remove the vent plug, connect the OAK and plug it in! Or else! :red:

Official start 10/22/2011 burning the last of my "08" O'malleys. Will be testing some of the new brands I found sooooon! :)

I sense a bit of trouble brewing down in CT ^^^^^^^^^

Never make the one you shouldn't get angry, angry.

Yep! But not 100% my fault(but it will be blamed that way)! I kept asking and she'd say naw, Not yet! I guess I should have be 2 steps ahead and had it ready to go when it was time!

Forward all my mail to dog house! Length of stay(to be determained)! :-/

I've been burning 2-3 hours on chilly mornings when the house temp has dropped near 60°F, that only happens when overnight lows bottom out in the 30°F range. After a few hours of burning during the morning, house temp gets up into the low 70s and doesn't drop below 70°F before everyone in the house crashes for the night. I have only gone through 1 bag so far.

Holding out a little bit more. I have test burned what was left of the open bag from spring. Think I would cave tonight but going to be at someone elses home who is already burning. Is that cheating?

If I'm home early enough on Sunday, it will be a toss up of leaves in the yard and complete cleaning of the stove and pipe for regular burning. Methinks stove should win out. Maybe both?

me..........

37 in Georgia this morning and for the next few mornings so one stove on low. The other one's in 'standby mode'.

tjnamtiw said:
37 in Georgia this morning and for the next few mornings so one stove on low. The other one's in 'standby mode'.

tj,

I would think you would be the last to burn. Of all the members you seem to be the most southern. Your lows are lower than what we had this AM. I had 48ºF

Had mine on all day today, lowest setting. Just to take the edge off. Last night was mid 30's but tonight is suposed to go into the upper 20's.

j-takeman said:
tjnamtiw said:

tj,

I would think you would be the last to burn. Of all the members you seem to be the most southern. Your lows are lower than what we had this AM. I had 48ºF

I know J. When I first took my relocation to Georgia from Chicago, I thought I might as well burn all my winter clothes. The first year here we had over a foot of snow and I got stuck. That was embarrassing, to say the least. Last winter I had frozen water pipes it was so cold! Now this is North Georgia just a few miles from the start of the Appalachian Trail. No one can believe it gets that cold here. The only forgiving thing is that USUALLY the cold lasts a few days and then it's back to 50's and 60's. Last year it stayed below freezing for a week! Crazy. And then this summer it hit over 100 for like 3 weeks in a row! Damn Al Gore! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.