Why are most pellets Hardwood? Isn't Softwood popular, too?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tsc tractor supply sells soft wood pellets . there are a few stores in ohio.
They do not here. Realize many big chain stores, like TSC, sell regional pellets. I haven't checked this year but last year my TSC only sold 1 type of pellet and it was a hardwood pellet made in Michigan. I haven't scoured ohio looking for others, as even my closest TSC is about 30-40 minute drive away and round trip times approaching 2hrs + becomes not feasible to get pellets when I have good Somersets 15 minutes away.

(edited to add) except for the white pine horse bedding pellet which I already said they did have, and I did buy one year when on big sale, but since then too pricey.

Also yes I agree with your comment about having to tune the feed and air to the pellet somewhat. My stove seemed to burn really dirty, and over the course of the first year I did several things to improve it. I think the biggest problem that remains is my long chimney. But to cut to the end of a long story the factory set feedrate on my model is already at minimum (silly to me, you can turn it up from there but not down) and I have the air trim maxed out. So I cannot decrease my feed or increase my air any further. I tried contacting Englander numerous times through numerous means and numerous different contacts and never got through once over phone or email. VERY unhappy with their customer service, and not that impressed with their cheap azz stoves. But it's good enough now I got many of the problems figured out. I'm not sure if my stove may have been further defective (more so than the defects I already found) or if the chimney setup is just too much (despite following installation instruction in the manual, they did not indicate any particular 'limits').

Last edited:
Okay i assumed you lived in ohio cause of your fourm name. I am glad you got the bugs out for efficent heating , although it has been unseasonably warm here so far and have had to run my stove real low heat which actually keeps the dampness at bay. Glad you have a close place to get your pellets that have been working for you iam gonna look up the brand you use just for kicks.

Ohio is correct on what is available according to the region of the country you are in. I have never seen any softwood brands here anywhere.

Somersets are easily had for reasonable prices though and I'm good with that. In fact my TSC has them for $199 per ton out the door this season. That is hard to beat for such a great hardwood pellet.

Even if I had the option of the high dollar softys I'd probably stay with the Sets. I'd consider the softwoods if they were closer in price and could be found.

Wow that is a nice price @bags but I'm guessing it's a bit cheaper due to you being closer to the source. The last two years I was paying $250-260 this year I thought I was doing really good when I found em for $225 (that doesn't include tax though).

Okay i assumed you lived in ohio cause of your fourm name. I am glad you got the bugs out for efficent heating , although it has been unseasonably warm here so far and have had to run my stove real low heat which actually keeps the dampness at bay. Glad you have a close place to get your pellets that have been working for you iam gonna look up the brand you use just for kicks.
Well it's not perfect but it's working at least. Not sure if you'll find Somersets there in WI somehow I doubt it, but if you can get them and not outrageously priced then definitely worth a try at least.

Last edited:
Wow that is a nice price @bags but I'm guessing it's a bit cheaper due to you being closer to the source. The last two years I was paying $250-260 this year I thought I was doing really good when I found em for $225 (that doesn't include tax though).

Status
Not open for further replies.