Pellet types

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stmar

Sep 12, 2014
Wyo
We usually have few options when it comes to pellet brands/types in our area. Recently a store I deal with brought in some different pellets, fir, so I bought 10 bags to try. We usually get Heartland which are softwood out of Spearfish SD.. The fir were advertised as hardwood, more BTUs, less ash, etc. After burning a few bags I don't see that much difference, in fact they don't seem to burn as hot but that may just because of my expectations. What experiences have others had with different wood types?

We usually have few options when it comes to pellet brands/types in our area. Recently a store I deal with brought in some different pellets, fir, so I bought 10 bags to try. We usually get Heartland which are softwood out of Spearfish SD.. The fir were advertised as hardwood, more BTUs, less ash, etc. After burning a few bags I don't see that much difference, in fact they don't seem to burn as hot but that may just because of my expectations. What experiences have others had with different wood types?
As a general rule, hardwood pellets provide less BTUs and more ash per pound than softwood ones. There may be some exceptions but I'm not aware of any.

YMMV,

Hugh

Thanks for the great input, checked out the threads suggested and found out I was not imagining the lower heat output. I was told how much better the hardwoods were and the bag touted higher BTU and less ash, again not my limited experience. Luckily I only bought a few bags to try so will burn through them quickly, may mix with the softwoods.

Fir is not a hardwood. The key is the quality of the pellets, which can and,with some manufacturers, change every year. One of the most consistently good high quality pellets is North Idaho's, which is a fir blend. Except for the ones made and sold on the east coast. Pellet suppliers/manufacturers can have multiple plants, AND some just pay a competitor,in a different area, to make and bag their product. This is where quality drops. I could have got $210 pellets,this year, but I chose,again, NI for 290. Why? More even heat, less ash, and ash that is easier to clean, no chunks,slabs,etc.

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
Hey Bob, can you clarify this? "One of the most consistently good high quality pellets is North Idaho's, which is a fir blend. Except for the ones made and sold on the east coast. " I live in Connecticut and get my hardwood pellets from Hamers out you of West Virginia. You're thoughts, better or worse than fir? Thanks.

Hey Bob, can you clarify this? "One of the most consistently good high quality pellets is North Idaho's, which is a fir blend. Except for the ones made and sold on the east coast. " I live in Connecticut and get my hardwood pellets from Hamers out you of West Virginia. You're thoughts, better or worse than fir? Thanks.
I can tell you NI's have an excellent reputation out here, from the dakotas to the coast. Last year there were reports from back east about their products. As I do not get the eastern product, I trust people on here.