Why can’t I use my existing wood chimney?

Kcd660 Posted By Kcd660, Aug 1, 2019 at 12:52 PM

1. Kcd660

Kcd660
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2019
    Loc:
    Missouri
    I have a sled standing wood stove right now that I don’t care for and thinking about changing to a pellet stove. Can somebody please tell me why I can’t use my existing wood stove chimney pipe with a pellet stove. Duravent makes an adapter to go from a 3inch to 6 or 8” so the piping can be done. The existing is a class A double wall pipe that is 8”. I think the company selling me the stove just wants the money but maybe I am missing something. Any help is very much appreciated!!

2. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    You can do it but you will have to keep a close eye for creosote & ash build up due to the exhaust gas flow rate slowing way way down allowing the gases to cool and condense even through it is a forced exhaust. Then there is your local codes to consider as well. All the company is doing is protecting there backside.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    My Pellet stove is attached to a 6 in. class A chimney. It has been for 17 years
    never had any creosote and very little ash . swept once a year just like the pellet pipe
    Go to go . Just make sure the pipe is clean when you install the pellet stove
    Note I do not think the pipe would get hot enough to ignite any creosote
    why because I can hold my hand on the double wall pellet pipe even in the coldest weather.
    with the stove running flat out .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Ssyko likes this.
  4. Overfireinthehole

Overfireinthehole
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Miller MO
    Harman even makes a top vent adapter where you hook 6” directly to the stove. I’ve seen chimney fires from pellet stoves, but never on 6”.

5. Overfireinthehole

Overfireinthehole
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Miller MO
    It is easier to sweep with 4” top to bottom...

6. Kcd660

Kcd660
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2019
    Loc:
    Missouri
  7. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY

same here!

8. Talegas

Talegas
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2016
    Loc:
    Metrowest MA
    yeah, me too. Following my stove's manual, i had to increase to 4" stove pipe from the get-go then an adapter from 4" to 8" (or 6, i dont even remember now) and haven't had any issues. I do have ash going to the big pipe, but easily cleaned and in small quantities.