Why can't anything be simple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake Girl

Nov 12, 2011
NW Ontario
A repair that I have been putting off for a while ... changing out the bathroom fan. I started taking the old one apart quite a while ago when the motor quit and have had the new one waiting. Had to hail the Hubby as we finally had to just keep cutting chunks off the old box to get it out of there. I knew I had to cut the opening bigger through the ceiling boards but really took a good look at the new fan... The old one had power and ducting hook-up on the same side - on the new one they are opposing sides. The old ducting outlet was 3" - the new one is 4". Off tomorrow to get an adapter, hose clamps and additional ducting to extend the old line.

A couple of days ago, I went to use the Paslode and ended up driving the nails by hand. Turns out Hubby's buddy bought no name nails (not the Paslode brand) and they just aren't that good.

Rant over....;lol;lol

Reactions: vinny11950
A repair that I have been putting off for a while ... changing out the bathroom fan. I started taking the old one apart quite a while ago when the motor quit and have had the new one waiting. Had to hail the Hubby as we finally had to just keep cutting chunks off the old box to get it out of there. I knew I had to cut the opening bigger through the ceiling boards but really took a good look at the new fan... The old one had power and ducting hook-up on the same side - on the new one they are opposing sides. The old ducting outlet was 3" - the new one is 4". Off tomorrow to get an adapter, hose clamps and additional ducting to extend the old line.

A couple of days ago, I went to use the Paslode and ended up driving the nails by hand. Turns out Hubby's buddy bought no name nails (not the Paslode brand) and they just aren't that good.

Rant over....;lol;lol

So...you're saying the bathroom fan won't be in for a couple of days?

OK, we'll stay at the hotel for a few more days. Let us know when everything is completed?

-

Reactions: BrotherBart
In the scheme of things, not as bad as when the waterline froze ... the joys of home ownership!;lol

I think there is nothing more expensive than owning a home. Of course, I've been busy and ambitious these past few years. I'm hoping the next 2 years to spend almost nothing on the home.....of course, thats after the kitchen remodel and new master bathroom which is all studs right now.

As a home improvement contractor I love seeing these posts. Don't like seeing people struggle, but it's just how it goes sometimes. Thus when people try to get me to commit to a price on a project with a lot of "unknowns" I tell them that without x-ray vision, I have no idea what we're gonna find. Sometimes there's clues that come with experience, but there's always the unknown, keeps it interesting.
By time you're done you'll be a HVAC pro!

A friend just had her forced air system upgraded with a heat pump addition. She did her homework well and should have had decent results. System is working poorly. So far she found one duct run unattached! Not sure what else will turn up.

A friend just had her forced air system upgraded with a heat pump addition. She did her homework well and should have had decent results. System is working poorly. So far she found one duct run unattached! Not sure what else will turn up.
Thats just sad ... no matter how hard you try, you just can't always factor in all the possible pitfalls. Hate to hover over a contractor but sometimes necessary. Definitely learn system composition that way though...
By time you're done you'll be a HVAC pro!
Not likely==c ... I'm aware of my limits. The fixed price contracting can be a tricky one. One hopes that the jobs that go well can result in a better profit and outweigh the jobs that are a Murphy's law experience where nothing seems to go right. I started as a reno apprentice when I was about 10 when we turned a single floor summer cottage into a 2 story year round home. Never have lacked for variety of tasks... since we live in a fairly rural area, waiting for simple repairs like changing out a washer pump are just not worth trying to get a repairman out here (travel time outweighs repair time). The local repairmen are good with passing on any special tips. Always learning something new!

after the kitchen remodel and new master bathroom which is all studs right now.
Hope the reno goes well ... often better to start right at the bare bones. Got news for you though, you think you're done but there always seems to be something that wants to quit working<>

Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.