Why did the auto fan not shut off?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joneo

Feb 24, 2019
Portland, Oregon
Hello, question re: my new Regency i2400. Been using it about a week now. Very early this morning I was awakened by the sound of the fan (set to auto, low) still running after the fire had gone out and the stove had cooled a bit. The fan was making a weird sucking sound. I turned it off and went back to sleep. Later on I tested the fan for a few seconds on the now cold stove and it sounded normal. What would have caused it to not shut off?

Might be that the area of contact near the thermostatic snap switch was still hot under a bed of ash or it's possible to have a defective snap switch.

Reactions: joneo
I have an I3100. I just started looking for a replacment thermal switch to have on hand. My insert is well over 10 years old and I can't believe it hasn't needed replaced yet. Every now and then it comes on later/earlier than normal and turns off later/earlier than normal. Odd, but it is activated by temperature.

With that said, make sure the thermal switch seats fully against the stove. There is an adjustment bracket. At times, my blower housing unit must vibrate just ever so slightly and it causes a rattle. I just push on it and it corrects the odd sound.

I keep mine on "high, auto" and have it plugged into a dial fan speed control. It works excellent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ok cool, I was wondering if maybe there was too much ash potentially blocking something. I will clean it out and test it again.

Had the stove cooking all last night, this time with fan off and draft control pushed all the way in. This morning when I got up about 6 hours later (I really need more sleep) the stove was warm to touch but could easily rest my hand on it, there were only a few hot coals in the rear of the stove, yet when flipping the switch from off to on/auto, the fan kicked back on, blowing slightly warmish air. Not hot. Also did not make weird sound.

Some have an auto & manual switch.

Some have an auto & manual switch.
Yeah, this has both auto and manual. Gonna clean it out tonight, if it does it again will pull the blower and make sure all connections are tight and the thermal switch is correctly positioned. I may need to have someone look at that part other than myself.

Are you sure it was set on auto, and not manual? It won't shut off in manual position at temp, you would have to manually shut it off.

Last edited:
No, definitely on auto. I tested it again this evening, after cleaning out most of the ash from inside the stove before building the fire. I let the stove warm up until the fan kicked on, then didn't put any more wood in and slowly let everything die back down. The fan stayed going for several hours afterwards and I finally shut it off myself after the stove was almost completely cool to the touch and it wasn't blowing warm air anymore.

Time for a new snap

Don't let this discourage you. You have a great unit and Regency has an excellent warranty. If it is the thermal switch, we are only talking about a $15 part that will be covered.

Don't let this discourage you. You have a great unit and Regency has an excellent warranty. If it is the thermal switch, we are only talking about a $15 part that will be covered.

Thanks, yeah I figure it's a quick fix. I'm actually a bit more concerned with the loud BANG! that came from the stove as it was cooling down the other night. I've read that it was most likely the steel flexing as it cooled, but have also read that it's possible for welds to break. I doubt that's the case though, seeing as it's a new stove and I have been very careful about not overfiring the thing.

I have an I3100. I just started looking for a replacment thermal switch to have on hand. My insert is well over 10 years old and I can't believe it hasn't needed replaced yet. Every now and then it comes on later/earlier than normal and turns off later/earlier than normal. Odd, but it is activated by temperature.

With that said, make sure the thermal switch seats fully against the stove. There is an adjustment bracket. At times, my blower housing unit must vibrate just ever so slightly and it causes a rattle. I just push on it and it corrects the odd sound.

I keep mine on "high, auto" and have it plugged into a dial fan speed control. It works excellent.

So, good news! Seems that thermal switch needed to be adjusted away from the stove a bit, as the metal retains quite a bit of heat and the disk wasn't shutting the fan off in a timely manner. May still need to be adjusted but at least I know what to look for and how to do it now. Also there was a metal plate that was occasionally rubbing and causing that weird sound. That was adjusted as well. Finally, that loud BANG we heard the other night was most likely the metal flexing as I had thought, as we have been running the stove in the evenings this past week with no other issues.

So, good news! Seems that thermal switch needed to be adjusted away from the stove a bit, as the metal retains quite a bit of heat and the disk wasn't shutting the fan off in a timely manner. May still need to be adjusted but at least I know what to look for and how to do it now. Also there was a metal plate that was occasionally rubbing and causing that weird sound. That was adjusted as well. Finally, that loud BANG we heard the other night was most likely the metal flexing as I had thought, as we have been running the stove in the evenings this past week with no other issues.

I have the smaller version of your wood stove - the H2100. For two solid years of burning in it, it has been a real joy. You will hear the metal expanding and contracting and you can tell the difference in the sounds, depending if its heating up or cooling down from a load of wood. It appears to have two different sounds on my wood stove - a "ticking" sound as it heats up and another sound (hard to describe - not ticking, sometimes like a bang) as the firebox cools (which sometime is an audible clue to me to get another load of wood ready!).

Absolutely no issues with it, although I have to admit, I'm really looking to warmer temps!