Why does my insert smell like burning hair while running?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Csims

Dec 21, 2022
Missouri USA
We fired up our newly installed summit wood burning fireplace insert today and about 4 hours into a nice slow burn, I turned off the blower and adjusted the wood, closed the door again and turned the blower back on. I was immediately hit with a strong smell of burning hair and an almost poo-ey smell (no, I didn’t singe my hair). I immediately turned off the blower and the power source to it, just in case, and cracked a window in the room. The smell makes me feel sick. What in the world could it be and when will it stop stinking up the house? We’ve got these -20 to -30 windchill temps coming in the morning and I want this fireplace running but the smell is unbearable.

You are most likely smelling the paint cure. I recommend reading the break in procedure in the manual. Each time you get the paint hotter, the paint will cure a bit more. When you turned the blower off the outside of the insert warmed up a bit more and it started to cook the paint a little more.

Is there an animal (squirrel, chipmunk, mouse, etc...) in the chimney that is now laying against the liner or the stove?

Reactions: VintageGal