Will my current stack be dry enough for next Winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
This past November I felled 3 hickory trees cut them up and stacked them out back with the intention of being able to burn them for firewood for the late 2014 Winter. While reading up on this awesome site I'm beginning to get the impression that I'll only have marginal success with 1yr seasoned wood. And seasoned 3 years is ideal. And in my own experience wood I cut and stacked 3 years ago for random campfires and the homemade charcoal I make is vastly dryer and easier to split than stuff I cut and stacked a year ago. If my 1yr hickory wood is going to be a pain for me I started to think...

I've got several standing dead trees on the property that I could fell and add to my stacks. Would that likely get me some good dry wood for the late 2014 winter? What else can I do now to have more success in 9 months or so when the cold weather comes back and we start using wood to heat our home for the first time?

Standing dead prolly ok..have to cut em down and check with a meter to get an idea of moisture content below 20% optimum...i can burn ok at or about 20% but i havr to leave the door ajar a bit to get it caught good...usually 500 degree plus stovetop...and a five hr burn time with a full fb....

Reactions: 7acres
This past November I felled 3 hickory trees cut them up and stacked them out back with the intention of being able to burn them for firewood for the late 2014 Winter. While reading up on this awesome site I'm beginning to get the impression that I'll only have marginal success with 1yr seasoned wood. And seasoned 3 years is ideal. And in my own experience wood I cut and stacked 3 years ago for random campfires and the homemade charcoal I make is vastly dryer and easier to split than stuff I cut and stacked a year ago. If my 1yr hickory wood is going to be a pain for me I started to think...

I've got several standing dead trees on the property that I could fell and add to my stacks. Would that likely get me some good dry wood for the late 2014 winter? What else can I do now to have more success in 9 months or so when the cold weather comes back and we start using wood to heat our home for the first time?

7acres, I'll give you my opinion. I always try to cut dead standing trees. Dead trees are not dry trees, however, I found that they will dry quicker than something a storm took down that was live when it was cut. I would get cutting on the dead standing then split and stack. Then get yourself a moisture meter to check late 2014 and go with what is the driest. Splits should be something you can get both hands around nothing greater. Then stack in single file, cover the top and see what happens.
Good Luck

Thanks for the wisdom. I guess it's time for those trees to come down then. I'll do that. I don't have a log splitter at the current time though. Is there a consensus on this forum on what moisture meter is best to purchase?

7acres, I'll give you my opinion. I always try to cut dead standing trees. Dead trees are not dry trees, however, I found that they will dry quicker than something a storm took down that was live when it was cut. I would get cutting on the dead standing then split and stack. Then get yourself a moisture meter to check late 2014 and go with what is the driest. Splits should be something you can get both hands around nothing greater. Then stack in single file, cover the top and see what happens.
Good Luck

Dead standing can be okay in a year, especially the tops and limbs. 2 years is even better but we gotta start somewhere. Most here prefer wood that is below 20% moisture but if you're buying you should have a meter to verify.

The hickory was a good choice to have started. Its not as bad as oak. Your location is kinda vague.
your summer might be humid. Stack whatever you have in the middle of your yard.
out from underneath the shade of your property lines and privacy fence.
Whatever you cut...dead or alive...give it lots of space and sunshine.
Not against your garage wall in the shade.
But out by the swing set.
Next to the flamingos.
Under the clothesline.
Next to the windsock.
Catching a full southerly breeze.
;-)

Im not generally an advocate of childrens pictures being posted on the internet but I love your Avitar pic. Its a great photo.
Boy or girl they will cherish that pic when they get older.

Thanks Applesister! It's my son. He's a chip off the old block for sure. Maybe he'll be helping bring wood inside next year :)

Im not generally an advocate of childrens pictures being posted on the internet but I love your Avitar pic. Its a great photo.
Boy or girl they will cherish that pic when they get older.

Reactions: toddnic
I just saw your other posts.
So you have a hickory woodlot? nice.
The pine and cedar will make great bedfellows to the oak and hickory.
You should post us some pics of the stuff you get.

Your son, yes. Great photo for him some day.

7acres, I'm dealing with a similar situation to yours. I just put in our stove over the summer. I have about 7 cords cut, stacked, and split from March 2013 but it is no where near dry. I know that I will probably have one more difficult winter before things get much easier. Hang in there!

Thanks Applesister! It's my son. He's a chip off the old block for sure. Maybe he'll be helping bring wood inside next year :)
LOL,,, if that is a recent pic,,,he needs to season a couple years too! You won't get much work from him yet. :)

Toddnic, looking at your tagline we're in the same boat more than you knew. I've got 11 bee hives wintering over right now! Thanks for the encouragement on my wood situation. And I wish you success with your new bees!

7acres, I'm dealing with a similar situation to yours. I just put in our stove over the summer. I have about 7 cords cut, stacked, and split from March 2013 but it is no where near dry. I know that I will probably have one more difficult winter before things get much easier. Hang in there!

I've got a hickory that came down in a storm in June 2012 and it was c/s/s by August 2012. I burned through the hickory I had that was two years c/s/s and started on the 2012 hickory and sadly it sizzled and was wet. If you get it moved out to the open and get some sun and air through it you might be OK.

Luckily I had some ash/birch that was c/s/s for less time but was ready to go.

f v

Yes, 7 acres of mostly hickory. I completely took hickory for granted I have so much of it until I got interested in wood stoves. Now I can't believe how blessed we are to have so much hickory. Yes, we have a lot of cedar too. I've actually got a stack of 3+year cured cedar out back from some clearing I did back when we moved in. I didn't even think to use it till you mentioned it. So there's no issue burning a mix of hard, soft and even resinous pine as well?

I just saw your other posts.
So you have a hickory woodlot? nice.
The pine and cedar will make great bedfellows to the oak and hickory.
You should post us some pics of the stuff you get.

Your son, yes. Great photo for him some day.

I always feel like when starting out you should burn what you have. Next year your stacks will be drier and more seasoned than any you will buy or have delivered. Just keep adding to your stash, and eventually you will catch up.
Good luck. Nice family you have going there:)

Thanks for the wisdom. I guess it's time for those trees to come down then. I'll do that. I don't have a log splitter at the current time though. Is there a consensus on this forum on what moisture meter is best to purchase?

A lot of us have the one sold at Lowes, I think its a General for about $30.

I love hickory but found it to be a pain to get to season, I now treat it as oak and actually mix it in with my oak and let it season 3 years.

Get a fiskers or a maul, they split wood too.

I've never seen a need for one so therefore I've never owned one.

Get it split - if you have not already. Your post says cut and stacked so if it is still in rounds you are not making much progress. In the round you can pretty much double or triple the drying time that is expected from a particular species of wood. Wind is more valuable than sun when it comes to seasoning so if there is a choice go with the windiest spots vs. the sunniest.

Split it small, get it up off the ground and put an overhanging roof over it with an air gap (throw some pallets on top of the pile and attached the roofing to it. Old tin roofing works great

Yes, 7 acres of mostly hickory. I completely took hickory for granted I have so much of it until I got interested in wood stoves. Now I can't believe how blessed we are to have so much hickory. Yes, we have a lot of cedar too. I've actually got a stack of 3+year cured cedar out back from some clearing I did back when we moved in. I didn't even think to use it till you mentioned it. So there's no issue burning a mix of hard, soft and even resinous pine as well?

No issues there at all. Soft wood can give off quick heat, add hard wood to get a longer burn time.

We always discuss time in the stacks as if all stacks are equal. Not all stacks are equal. I'd make sure your wood in stacked with plenty of space for air flow, single or double rows with space between, cover the top in a way that doesn't stop air movement but keeps the rain off, and that will make a big difference in how fast your wood seasons compared to a some sub-par stacking locations and stacking styles. I think you can have decent wood in a year. Not great, but acceptable.

If that is you in your avatar I'd say you should easily be able to split by hand, unless you have some sort of injury.

We always discuss time in the stacks as if all stacks are equal. Not all stacks are equal. I'd make sure your wood in stacked with plenty of space for air flow, single or double rows with space between, cover the top in a way that doesn't stop air movement but keeps the rain off, and that will make a big difference in how fast your wood seasons compared to a some sub-par stacking locations and stacking styles. I think you can have decent wood in a year. Not great, but acceptable.

If that is you in your avatar I'd say you should easily be able to split by hand, unless you have some sort of injury.

Penn States Forestry Dept has a lot of good info on wood burning. They recommend six months cut split and covered. Staclked off the ground (skids work well) covered over tthe top but sides open for air circulation. I find this works well in Pa.

Penn States Forestry Dept has a lot of good info on wood burning. They recommend six months cut split and covered. Staclked off the ground (skids work well) covered over tthe top but sides open for air circulation. I find this works well in Pa.

Yup. And people will believe it. All they've done is gone back in their records and this is what has always been recommended. Experience teaches that it is not necessarily so because there are so many factors involved. I will add that the only wood I've found that is good in 6 months is soft maple.

Don't believe everything you read. I've got wood in my current stack that has been cut, split, and stacked for about one year and is nowhere near ready to burn. I'm not sure I could even get pine or hemlock to dry out enough in six months.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.