Will Pellet Prices Go Down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mealie38

Oct 2, 2014
Long Island,NY
Oil on Long Island going for 186.00 a gallon,Stove Chow 269.00,Oils cheaper,I`ll miss my stoves.

Been burning since 2008 and haven't seen them go down in price. Unless of course you are willing to sacrifice pellet quality...!!!

Oil on Long Island going for 186.00 a gallon,Stove Chow 269.00,Oils cheaper,I`ll miss my stoves.

If folks go back to oil, propane and NG and stay there, prices could possibly drift down next year but this year the suppliers already billed for their raw materials and unless they credited back some of what they charged, the vendors are kind of stuck. If a trend developed away from pellet heat, market forces would suggest a drop due to lower demand.

Reactions: iceguy4
I sure hope they go down but it doesn't sound likely. $6.25/bag and $294.50/ton for Greene Team Platnium at Lowe's in New Haven...$5.58/bag for Green Supreme (can't remember the per ton cost). Since I have electric, I'll still save over that but lower prices would be welcome.

My HD just dropped the price of Stove Chow from 269.00 a ton down to 259.00

You know when they will go down? Next spring after everybody ditches $300/ton pellets for $1.95/gal oil.

Reactions: iceguy4 and bags
sgt2x check home depots inventory online.I`ve burnt stove chow,but didn't like them much.
They burn real dirty.

HD near me has FSU, burn hotter than SC but for $269 no thank's, paid that last year for AWF White Pine, Oil's $1.77 and dropping fast

186.00$ a gallon? I think you need to move that decimal point a couple #'s to the left. Unless that is what your're really paying and if that's the case I'd be burning pellets 24/7.

if oil is $186.00 per gallon I'm walking to Miami since I can no longer afford heat or a car.

I doubt it but you may see some pellet places close up shop.

just filled up today for 1.659.....unreal..
had 2 tons of spruce points delivered Monday at $294.????
Think those pellets will still be in the cellar next year along with the mwp i have in the cellar ..cheaper to burn oil..
I ask sibs if their prices will go down because oil is so cheap...he said no.. i said all the pellet dealers will have leftover pellets come spring with the price oil that cheap..
check it out..
http://nepacrossroads.com/fuel-comparison-calculator.php

just filled up today for 1.659.....unreal..
had 2 tons of spruce points delivered Monday at $294.????
Think those pellets will still be in the cellar next year along with the mwp i have in the cellar ..cheaper to burn oil..
I ask sibs if their prices will go down because oil is so cheap...he said no.. i said all the pellet dealers will have leftover pellets come spring with the price oil that cheap..
check it out..
http://nepacrossroads.com/fuel-comparison-calculator.php
Awesome Link! Thank you!
- j

If there is a warm winter, pellet prices will drop. But if it is anything like last year, they will hold steady. I can't see them going higher this season because other options are so cheap. But if pellet prices do drop because of oversupply, then I will be hunting for bargains for next year. Pellets have the advantage of long term storage, so you can save them for a rainy day.

It is ridiculous how cheap heating/energy prices are this year. Just wait a couple of years and we will be back to $120 barrel of oil and higher pellet prices too. Enjoy the low prices now, they will not last.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
oil still 2.60 in hudson valley
getting a fill today (9/1/15) from Fine Design near Wurtsboro.. quoted 2.00 a gallon on the phone yesterday

While I was in a hardware store, I asked what they were getting for pellets. He said it starts at 270 for Infernos. I pointed out that oil keeps going down, but not pellets. He just shrugged his shoulders and, I guess, didn't want to talk about it.

I just read an article where a Canadian company may shut down pellet production because of the lower heating fuel costs. Crude dropped about 7% today and won't talk about what the stocks did.

Reactions: roadking88
Oil and pellet prices have very little to do with each other. Pellets are not cheaper to produce because oil prices are lower. Fuel costs make up a small portion of delivery costs.

Reactions: Augmister
Status
Not open for further replies.