Will splitter fit on 5x8 trailer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
I am debating the purchase of a 5x8 utility trailer from Tractor Supply for $599. Just wondering if my dad's splitter will fit on that size trailer. It is a Yard Machines 20 ton splitter that he bought from Home Depot about 12 years ago.

Yes!

Absolutely! I fit my 22 ton Huskee in the bed of my RANGER (4x6)

wood-fan-atic said:

I assume you use ramps to get it up in the back of the Ranger but what do you use for muscle? Do you use a come-along? A winch? Do you pull it in and back it out, or do you back it in to the truck and then pull it out?

I'll probably just tow my Huskee 35 anywhere locally that I need it but have considered putting it in the back of my 6 foot F-150.
17 inch wheels make that bed pretty high, though, and my ramps pretty steep.

Might be easier to borrow a trailer from one of my neighbors. Both had 16 footers.

Kenster said:
wood-fan-atic said:

I assume you use ramps to get it up in the back of the Ranger but what do you use for muscle? Do you use a come-along? A winch? Do you pull it in and back it out, or do you back it in to the truck and then pull it out?

I'll probably just tow my Huskee 35 anywhere locally that I need it but have considered putting it in the back of my 6 foot F-150.

Might be easier to borrow a trailer from one of my neighbors. Both had 16 footers.

I can man-handle my 22 ton into my f150 with ramps by myself....but it is about all I can handle. A 35 would take 2 men and a boy to load.

lukem said:
Kenster said:
wood-fan-atic said:

I can man-handle my 22 ton into my f150 with ramps by myself....but it is about all I can handle. A 35 would take 2 men and a boy to load.

While I am pretty strong for my size, at 150 pounds it is somewhat tough to put my weight behind anything. Being in shape has its advantages and drawbacks. I can work almost all day long, but when it comes to heavy lifting I have to do is the "smart" way.

There is no way I would be able to get my dad's splitter in my F350. Figured out a plan to get it on the trailer. I am going to pull it up a hill with my truck and hitch, position the trailer on the downhill side of the splitter, and allow gravity to help me get that splitter on the trailer. My dad is leaving for vacation tomorrow, so this is going to be all on me on Wednesday. Should be fun. LOL

Doing it smart is "smart".
I use a few small pulleys.
A twin pulley tied to a rope between the bed tie downs, single on what ever I'm loading.
Tie to the load, thru 1 side of the twin pulley, thru the pulley on the load, back to the other pulley on the twin, pull on the loose end up the ramp. 4:1

A helper to steer/guide it on is always nice too.

Good luck

At 240 lbs, in good shape, I do things the smart way. I'm 41 years old and rely on a physically demanding job to make a very comfortable living. Any injuries at home are my problem, and my body isn't going to take this abuse forever. I back my trailer up to a low retaining wall, and roll my splitter on fairly level.

And yes, 5x8 is plenty big. However, with your F350, I'd be looking for a bigger, heavier trailer. It's a lot easier loading wood into a trailer than the back of a pickup, and you've got the truck to pull it. Just a thought.

jeff_t said:
At 240 lbs, in good shape, I do things the smart way. I'm 41 years old and rely on a physically demanding job to make a very comfortable living. Any injuries at home are my problem, and my body isn't going to take this abuse forever. I back my trailer up to a low retaining wall, and roll my splitter on fairly level.

And yes, 5x8 is plenty big. However, with your F350, I'd be looking for a bigger, heavier trailer. It's a lot easier loading wood into a trailer than the back of a pickup, and you've got the truck to pull it. Just a thought.

Between this furnace purchase, the AC, the chainsaws, the new house, pre-school, the cost to get the utility company to run a gas line to the house, and having to put together $10,000 by the end of the year for the kids' 529 plans, money is a little tight right now. After next tax season, or the following tax season depending on how much I actually bring in, the plan is to buy a John Deere 3720 or 4320 (most likely a 4320) and then a 16' or 18' trailer/car hauler for the tractor, any cars that break down on the road, firewood, duck blinds, etc. This small trailer is just for the small stuff like a splitter, small loads of firewood, and junk that I need to take to the dump in the interim. If I can get a cord+ of wood per trip, then I am in good shape. Also thinking about buying something like a 6x10 enclosed trailer for hunting and firewood. So many plans, so little time and money.

I turn 40 in 3 weeks. However, I don't rely on a physically demanding job (i.e., attorney/CPA) to make a comfortable living. To keep in shape, I ride my bikes, I do work around the house, I do home improvements, and I cut firewood. Since having kids 4 years ago I have had to cut back the mileage on the bike, and weight lifting is non-existent. So, I am not in quite as good of shape as I once was. Isn't that something by Toby Keith?

NATE379 said:
Why not tow the splitter behind the truck?

I do tow it behind the truck sometimes, but don't want to do that on roads where I will be going 55+ mph. I even posted a thread on here a little while ago about whether I need tags for the splitter to tow it. Consensus in Maryland is that I do not.

Ended up changing my mind on the trailer and am going to hold out until we can afford an enclosed 6x12 with a double axle and 7,000 lb gvwr. That and the car hauler are the trailers that I really want. Might as well just suck it up in the short run for a year or two.

fabsroman said:
NATE379 said:

I do tow it behind the truck sometimes, but don't want to do that on roads where I will be going 55+ mph. I even posted a thread on here a little while ago about whether I need tags for the splitter to tow it. Consensus in Maryland is that I do not.

Ended up changing my mind on the trailer and am going to hold out until we can afford an enclosed 6x12 with a double axle and 7,000 lb gvwr. That and the car hauler are the trailers that I really want. Might as well just suck it up in the short run for a year or two.

Good program waiting to get what you want. "Suck it up", we could use more of that these days.

mecreature said:
fabsroman said:
NATE379 said:

Good program waiting to get what you want. "Suck it up", we could use more of that these days.

Believe me, I am usually the one sucking it up. If I told you about my "sucking it up" over the past 20+ years, you might be amazed. I am usually the guy that saves for exactly what I want and the guy that uses a car, gun, chainsaw, etc. for all it is worth and once I am done with it decades down the road is just has no more useful life in it. Same goes for cell phones. Had my last one for 5 years.

I agree though, we need a lot more "sucking it up" right now, and a lot more HTFU.

It's also nice to have friends/neighbors from whom you can borrow equipment. My buddy/neighbor down the road a bit has a 16 foot trailer I can borrow. He borrows my brush hog and back blade. I borrow his box blade. Cuts down on costs and storage/parking issues. I actually have three friends with 16 foot trailers. Every time I mention that I ought to buy my own trailer they all tell me not to.

I've seen someone towing a splitter going at least 65 mph. Scared the what-not out of me!

When I let someone borrow my splitter and he was about 20 miles away, the only way was to put the splitter on a trailer or truck as I did not want him towing it on the road. Other than that, the only towing is from the barn to where the splitting is to be done or to a neighbor but no more than a mile away. Then it gets towed with the atv.

Kenster said:
It's also nice to have friends/neighbors from whom you can borrow equipment. My buddy/neighbor down the road a bit has a 16 foot trailer I can borrow. He borrows my brush hog and back blade. I borrow his box blade. Cuts down on costs and storage/parking issues. I actually have three friends with 16 foot trailers. Every time I mention that I ought to buy my own trailer they all tell me not to.

My brother has a 6x10 trailer that I can borrow, but I need to file a pleading in Court so he can get it titled and tagged. Have a client/friend 5 miles down the road with a couple of trailers that he has offered to let me use when I need them. The thing I hate about borrowing stuff is that I have to get permission, I have to treat it super nice, and I have to pick it up and return it. Not to mention I have to hope that they aren't planning on using it. I can borrow my dad's splitter too, but he lives by my brother and it is 25 miles and 30+ minutes each way. I have some logs here that I want to split and borrowing my dad's splitter is a PITA.

Just came up with a brilliant idea. I can go out and buy a sledge hammer, ax, and some wedges and get this splitting done. Then again, I could also take the money for all that and put it toward a splitter. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Trailer before splitter. Splitter before trailer, and it goes on forever. Probably going to get a splitter before a trailer unless my dad lets me keep the splitter up here.

lukem said:

Or 12' long ramps, or a well placed berm/bank. :)

BUT I find it WAY easier to load onto a trailer. A 4x6 is all you need for a typical splitter.

Hmm, wish all my friends would buy their own trailers. Seems like mine is never here when I need it. 18ft 10k equipment trailer.

Kenster said:

Status
Not open for further replies.