Will standing dead ash go punky?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
I’ve got several standing dead Ash trees, still with bark. I don’t need the wood right now. Is there any concern about the standing dead going punky? Is it best to get it cut soon, or do I have time?

I notice once the larger branches start falling off the trunk it's too far gone to bother with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There were a lot of midwesterners on this forum a few years ago, living in areas where EAB had killed most of the ash in the prior half dozen years. Many of them reported how deadly unpredictable standing dead ash would become, if left standing a few years. Some of them had trees they became downright afraid to touch, after seeing years-dead ash barberchair unpredictably.

So, my gut reaction would be to get it on the ground sooner than later, while it’s still relatively fresh. I do all of my own felling, several trees per year beyond the average firewood cutter, but still squarely in the amateur category.

Reactions: jackatc1
No, not really. At worst you may lose the bottom 3 feet. I would leave them standing, until you're ready for them.
I'm burning 12+ year old Eab. All cut as I need it. Left standing, the bark will eventually fall off. If the tree comes down on its own in the meantime,(and laying directly on the ground) then get to it, the punk clock is ticking. If the tree is hung up on others or otherwise not touching ground, you are good to go. Only thing with a horizontal tree laying with bark on (bark will fall off yhe underside, but not the topside)will tend to start punking out, although if you can knock the top bark off, I think you would be good for years.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
I live in the woods in Ohio. Dead ash is unpredictable. I’ve seen some stand dead for years without problem. I’ve seen others dead for only 2 years fall to the ground. One of which came through the roof of my home.

If your trees are a threat to people or property, get them down.

I’m with Beatlefan, I too live in the woods in Ohio. Ash is hard to predict. I’ve lost 12 to the EAB. Some came down quickly and others stayed until I took them down. You will notice the bark falls off in very large chunks as it sits after dying. I’ve noticed they are harder to split and saw the more dead they are.

Better to have it down before it becomes a problem. Every tree is different but better to have it cut and split before the wood becomes worthless.

Most of the EAB killed trees I've dealt with had some punk goin on...started dying 2-4 years earlier. Only a couple were still solid after that time period...I'd get yours on the ground sooner rather than later.

Reactions: heavy hammer
We’ve just started seeing the first ash succumb to the EAB in the last year, although we’ve seen them declining over the last two or three, so I’m sure the borer has been present that long.

I lost one, not coincidentally the one closest to where I stack the wood I drag home from others’ properties. I started treating my other ash with Safari (basil trunk spray) two years ago, so hopefully I don’t lose another one in the back yard. Now, with being at ground zero for spotted lantern fly, I need to make some decisions on how to treat my walnut, birch, and a other fruit and nut trees. Little is known about this new pest, but all indicators are it may be more devastating to a wider range of trees than EAB ever was.

We’ve just started seeing the first ash succumb to the EAB in the last year, although we’ve seen them declining over the last two or three, so I’m sure the borer has been present that long.

I lost one, not coincidentally the one closest to where I stack the wood I drag home from others’ properties. I started treating my other ash with Safari (basil trunk spray) two years ago, so hopefully I don’t lose another one in the back yard. Now, with being at ground zero for spotted lantern fly, I need to make some decisions on how to treat my walnut, birch, and a other fruit and nut trees. Little is known about this new pest, but all indicators are it may be more devastating to a wider range of trees than EAB ever was.

They must move fairly slowly. I don't think there's a live ash tree left where I am beyond saplings which I assume are doomed, which is somewhere around 150-200 miles west of you, depending on which side of Philadelphia you're on. There are a few areas of my property that look almost clear-cut because of the amount of ash trees that all died at the same time a few years ago.

As for the OP, yes they will, and I would get them cut, split, and stacked sooner rather than later. I haven't had any barber chair on me. But of those I cut last fall, about 1/4 hit the ground and broke apart. If that happens, they're not worth messing with. And I suppose that experience is more than average firewood cutter, as my dad and I combined use about 15-20 cords a year, and we've sent out a few loads of logs over the past couple years as we cut the sellable ash trees while they were still sellable.