will this gas fireplace [Regency B36XTE] fit in my existing opening?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redwood78

Nov 15, 2014
PA
I am in the process of removing my current wood burning zero clearance fireplace to put in a ng fireplace. My goal is to get a mid-range unit in the 30,000 btu range (give or take 5,000 btu) to go into the existing opening without modification. My dimensions are 39" wide and 33" high. Depth I am not certain of but I don't think depth will be a problem. I went to a local Regency dealer after narrowing down my choices online to possibly the Regency 36D or Regency B36XTE. The 36D lists as being 36" wide and 30.5" high. That would obviously fit pretty well although it would leave a gap in the height measurement (which I assume can be filled or covered with a frame or surround). The B36XTE lists as being 36" wide and 35.25" high. So the width is ok but its 2.25" taller than the opening. I tracked down the manual to my existing Superior Fireplace unit and the listed height on my current unit is 34.5". So the Regency B36XTE is really only .75 inches taller than my current unit it appears. [Manual pages are attached]. It seems like my current zcf is sitting just behind the brick, and so it works even though it's taller than the opening, if that makes sense. I prefer the significantly larger viewing area of the B36XTE over the 36D. And so I'm left wondering..

1) Will the Regency B36XTE fit without modification of the existing opening?
2) If modification is needed, is it a big deal to take out the metal lintel and top course of bricks?
3) Is there another fireplace I should consider? (.. although I really like the Regency B36XTE)

Thank you, and apologies if I'm using incorrect terminology, which I probably am. Any input much appreciated.

Attachments

• current superior fireplace dimensions.pdf
    520.7 KB · Views: 190
  • regency B36XTE dimensions.pdf
    318.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 19227145012_b66bb41a37_k.jpg
    19227145012_b66bb41a37_k.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 18612472343_79a1d8ecf7_k.jpg
    18612472343_79a1d8ecf7_k.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 163
  • 18612477043_66f3318964_k.jpg
    18612477043_66f3318964_k.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
In order to get Either unit in that opening, you're going to have to install from the rear anyway,
as that's the ONLY way to get the ZC woodburner out or there without damaging the brick finish.
Once the old one is out, your ACTUAL opening will be easier to measure.
There may be enough room below the hearth to the sub-floor to give you the height you need.
If there isn't, you may be able to remove enough of the sub-floor & replace it with a thinner piece
of plywood in order to get the dimensions you need.
You just need to ensure that you can get the front of the gas unit open to access the valve cavity.

Thanks for the response. The rear of the fireplace is wood frame and stucco. Going through that is gonna be a problem i would think. I am actually working on getting the current zcf out from the front, but its rather slow going.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.