Will this insert come apart from the stove.(Newbie)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

riggsjr

Feb 21, 2022
Newbie here. Bought this house with this wood burner. Looking to redo this room. Was wondering if this insert will come apart and just have the wood burner without the other section.
What should be the distance between the pipe and the wall?
Thank you

IMG_2654.jpeg IMG_2656.jpeg IMG_2654.jpeg IMG_2656.jpeg

Thank you for the quick response.So is it welded or press together. For some reason I thought it was just bolted together.

Also what is the purpose of the box that the pipe going up to the chimney is attached to? I assume I can lose that?

From what I can see is the box at the back a simple air plenum? It looks like 2 bolts above the stove and then 2 tabs on each side that are bent to hold the stove into the plenum. Remove the bolts and bend tabs to separate?

That is an impressive looking stove.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick response.So is it welded or press together. For some reason I thought it was just bolted together.
It is welded. I am not sure what the box is. I don't remember if timberline inserts have a round outlet or not

Last edited:
From what I can see is the box at the back a simple air plenum? It looks like 2 bolts above the stove and then 2 tabs on each side that are bent to hold the stove into the plenum. Remove the bolts and bend tabs to separate?

That is an impressive looking stove.
Yes works great.I assume Timberline has been out of business for a while. Is the air plenum necessary? I would like to remove the insert and just go straight up into the chimney.

Yes works great.I assume Timberline has been out of business for a while. Is the air plenum necessary? I would like to remove the insert and just go straight up into the chimney.
remove the bolts and bend tabs. Not sure what the chimney interface is like , maybe simple as lifting it up off the stove/chimney stub if that is what you're dealing with.

that plenum might be an add on someone fabbed up? welds look like it might be ? ether way it has to come apart as it is built otherwise why the bolts.

Last edited:
Again the surround is welded on it would need to be cut off. The box on top may be there to adapt from rectangle to round. Or it could have been an offset box from when it was an insert.

Does the plenum help with more heat . I am not a fan on how everything looks.
By plenum do you mean the box ontop or the surround?

What you have is a fireplace insert. That surround was there to help get the heat out of the fireplace when it was inserted there.

Thank you. The house is in Northern PA. I am in NJ now but when I go up I will investigate it again. My plans are to remove the surround and the box on top. Run the pipe straight up and then 90 degrees into the chimney. Also the pipe is only 3" from the wall.I am sure it should be at least 10" if not more.I can then move the wood burner away from the wall ,as you can see there is room on the slab, so my pipe will be away more and so will the wood burner. I want to do a rock ledger wall and remove the tile. The tile is mounted on cement board now. I plan on removing everything and re doing it. I was going to get a new wood burner as this one is over 25 years old but does not get used everyday and only when I am up there.It still works fine and my wife still likes it.

Does the plenum help with more heat . I am not a fan on how everything looks.
The pics aren't clear enough to show , but can you see any spots where these 2 parts are actually welded together?...maybe at the base where they meet or overlap?

Thank you. The house is in Northern PA. I am in NJ now but when I go up I will investigate it again. My plans are to remove the surround and the box on top. Run the pipe straight up and then 90 degrees into the chimney. Also the pipe is only 3" from the wall.I am sure it should be at least 10" if not more.I can then move the wood burner away from the wall ,as you can see there is room on the slab, so my pipe will be away more and so will the wood burner. I want to do a rock ledger wall and remove the tile. The tile is mounted on cement board now. I plan on removing everything and re doing it. I was going to get a new wood burner as this one is over 25 years old but does not get used everyday and only when I am up there.It still works fine and my wife still likes it.
If you are redoing the wall you can make a ventilated heat shield that reduces the pipe clearance to 6" and the stove clearance to 12"

Is there a fan or what looks like a fan was mounted to it? A plenum usually has a fan to circulate the heat off the stove. Also the pics aren't clear enough to show , but can you see any spots where these 2 pats are actually welded together?...maybe at the base where they meet or overlap?
There is no fan. I will have to look to see if there are any welds.

There is no fan. I will have to look to see if there are any welds.
The bottom is welded for sure. There may be other spots as well. Like I said I don't remember for sure on timberlines

Should the would burner be elevated with some sort of feet or siting on that slab is fine? I guess using the heat shield with the the cement board should be real safe ? I assume just screw the heat shield to the cement board? Is Timberline a good quality wood burner ? Sorry for all the questions but you guys seem very knowledgeable.

Should the would burner be elevated with some sort of feet or siting on that slab is fine? I guess using the heat shield with the the cement board should be real safe ? I assume just screw the heat shield to the cement board? Is Timberline a good quality wood burner ? Sorry for all the questions but you guys seem very knowledgeable.
You can make a heat shield with cement board be adding 1" spacers between it and the wall. With a space top and bottom. Your hearth isn't big enough either.

Timberlines were good stoves for their day. And aren't bad for occasional use.