Will this wood furnace be big enough?? Shelter SF1000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jedi_jackson

Jan 9, 2018
Virginia
I have what I would call a tri-level home that is approx 2300 sq feet. It currently has an old Thermo Pride WC-27 Wood Furnace. On the stove the tag says it is rated at 130,000 btu. When I first bought my home 4 years ago, I got it up and running and it did well, but slowly things keep breaking down on the stove and its not doing as good as it was, so I am looking at replacing it. I was going to get one of the larger Fire Chief furnaces, but this year they have discontinued all the large models becaue of EPA regulations. The only one HY-C offers is the Shelter SF1000. Rated for 150,000 btu, has a 1800 cfm blower and says it will heat up to 2000 sq feet. I was wondering if this furnace would be big enough to heat my home? It seems it is rated for more btus but the sq footage rating concerns me. I appreciate any input.

Please do a search here on the Shelter SF1000 and Fire chief version (same furnace). Bottom line- don't buy either version.

Only acceptable furnaces on the market are the Drolet Heat commander and the Kuuma Vaporfire 100.

Last edited:
Forget about that brand and anything to do with it. Run far away, never look back, and thank yourself later.

Ok, thank you for the suggestions. I will look into those. May I ask why you guys don't like the shelter brand furnace?
Lol, do a search and a little reading here. It would be unfair to ask everybody to repeat what’s been said 100’s of times already. I will say that I’ve honestly only ever seen them receiving negative feedback.

Lol, do a search and a little reading here. It would be unfair to ask everybody to repeat what’s been said 100’s of times already. I will say that I’ve honestly only ever seen them receiving negative feedback.
This ^ ^ ^
I only know of one SF1000E that has a happy owner...a friend of mine bought it at serious clearance price at Menards before I knew about it...he said he knew the reputation, but decided that it was so cheap that if it didn't work he could easily sell it at break even or even make a buck on it...he claims that it is working for him...I dunno how or why, other than he has a small home. I'm still puzzled why it is not presenting with the same bad manners as all the rest though...

I genuinely wonder how many Menards took back on return. A friend got one, it sucked, and he just brought it back there I think. Kuuma for him now.

Reactions: woodey
I genuinely wonder how many Menards took back on return. A friend got one, it sucked, and he just brought it back there I think. Kuuma for him now.
Yup, I know somebody that is doing the same...selling the Firechief to someone with a smaller home (much smaller that the furnaces rating) and getting a Kuuma. Hopefully I can get him to post about his experience here when done.
I bet Menards is about done with wood furnaces...after dealing with all the warranty issues on the first gen Tundra's, and now the Firechief issues. ;lol