Winching

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I need to extend the reach of my winch (3000 lb warn) who can I buy cable or synthetic rope from so I can winch some trees down the hill.

zap

interchangabLEE said:
Might want 2 check reel capacity 1st.

I'm not sure how much is on the winch ( I think it's 50 feet) but it's 2 capacity.

zap

Get a second rope or chain and use that to draw the logs closer until the winch cable reaches.

You'd want those add-on sections to be a tad shorter than what you pay out from the reel.

For a small winch I would use a tow strap that doesn't wrap around the drum .
I have 1200lb hydraulic winch on my truck . I have a 100' 5/16ths cable and use 2 50' ' tow strap with pulleys .
Most of the time i make 25' pulls with 50' of steel cable and a pulley hooked to the log end and the end of the cable hooked to a tree or truck .
I double the first strap from 50' to 25' to gain ground .
I have 200' of 1/2" synthetic rope but don't use it for pulling logs it cuts easy on rocks and costs a bundle.
the rope is good for pulling tree limbs to the chipper or guiding a tree down.
Its faster to just pull the logs with the truck if you have room. John

Status
Not open for further replies.