Wind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

prolly no comparison to what you guys and gals in the plains experience, but house parts and other movable crap are whippin around here. Spossed to til the crack of dawn. While it's still warm -for November- I have always experienced that its harder to heat during wind than it is during cold. Never really figured out if it's a {boiler}draft issue, or a {windows, doors, etc}draft issue.

I think Dororthy just went wizzin' by!

Up north here--Tug Hill Plateau--high winds until midnight. Of course the highest winds are forecasted in my area--gusts to 50MPH. Woke up this AM to one previously smashed up snowmobile trailer cover completely ripped off the trailer. Had only one pin in the rear holding it on and a weird east wind got under the cover and it was gone......... Keep bumpin the thermostat up as the night goes on....

When I woke up this morning, I didn't know it was windy until I went to feed the furnace. We run a barometric damper and its a life saver when its windy outside. It will open and close quite a bit, but the fire will show no effect from the winds. I could hear the winds through the baro.

I didnt hear much wind last night. But had a good 20 to 25 mph breeze here all day. Alot of branches down around the lawn.The wind can stop anytime now though.I will have to check the GPS for the elevation where I live. I do know that I am very close to highest point in Herkimer county.In fact there are 36 windmills going up around me.Just wish I could benefit from them some how..

yep, lots of wind by me too. I had 2 picture windows to remove and replace. I picked one hell of a day to do that job. I managed to get it done between gusts without any major problems except for one gust that blew thru the window opening and sucked all the paper stuff clinging to the fridge out the window. You know, old report cards, Chinese takeout menus, coupons, photos ,shopping lists, important phone #s, etc, etc. I never realized how valuable all that refrigerator stuff could be till it all went out the $#@%^&! window. Whoops.

mikeyny said:
yep, lots of wind by me too. I had 2 picture windows to remove and replace. I picked one hell of a day to do that job. I managed to get it done between gusts without any major problems except for one gust that blew thru the window opening and sucked all the paper stuff clinging to the fridge out the window. You know, old report cards, Chinese takeout menus, coupons, photos ,shopping lists, important phone #s, etc, etc. I never realized how valuable all that refrigerator stuff could be till it all went out the $#@%^&! window. Whoops.

See, now I told my wife that it was unsafe for me to attempt putting that last piece of 25' standing seam up, then you go and yank windows out! Good thing you didn't do two windows on opposite sides of the house :bug:

Storm damage picture, thank heaven no one was hurt!

Attachments

• windstorm.jpg
    windstorm.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 246
We took a direct hit the last week of October with that massive low pressure system that went thru the Upper Midwest. Supposedly the barometric pressure was the lowest ever recorded in the US. We had winds of 50-60 MPH and the water treatment plant in Escanaba, just south of me, recorded a wind gust of 71 MPH. Amazingly my power never went out. My father-in-law who lives about 5 miles away was without power for 4 days tho. No damage to anything around the house either, thankfully. If it had hit when the leaves were still on the trees I would have been scrounging downed trees all over the place. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.