Window Gasket replacement Vermont Casting Resolute III

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Noelle

Oct 25, 2021
Asheville NC
The glass cracked on my 1979 Resolute III. I had new fireproof glass cut, but now I can't find the coated wire gaskets that go between the double pane glass. I use the stove to heat my home and it's getting cold. I have tired to find a a small gauge fireproof gasket, but can't find anything small enough. I believe I need a 7/16 " gasket. Also, the original is a wire covered in a fireproof fabric. The wire enables the gasket to hold it's shape in order to put the glass in the door properly. I love this stove and can't believe this small, seemingly easy to replace part, could cause the stove to be unusable. Any suggestions? Fireproof calk???

welcome to the forum. i looked through the manual for my defiant 1 which should be the same manual for defiant, vigilant, resolute and intrepid and since i don't have the rebuild manual for your stove it doesn't tell me your part number but does say that the gasket should be 5/16. i looked through woodmans parts plus and the don't say anything about it. sorry. look through facebook market place or craigslist to find a doner stove and buy that one even if it does not have glass doors and use those til you find parts. then you can always sell the second one.

The glass cracked on my 1979 Resolute III. I had new fireproof glass cut, but now I can't find the coated wire gaskets that go between the double pane glass. I use the stove to heat my home and it's getting cold. I have tired to find a a small gauge fireproof gasket, but can't find anything small enough. I believe I need a 7/16 " gasket. Also, the original is a wire covered in a fireproof fabric. The wire enables the gasket to hold it's shape in order to put the glass in the door properly. I love this stove and can't believe this small, seemingly easy to replace part, could cause the stove to be unusable. Any suggestions? Fireproof calk???
first, your stove is not 1979, probably more like 1984. the 1979 is generic.
second, try not to fall in love with inanimate objects. you can overspend on them.
third, welcome to the world of vermont castings, where many older stoves are not fully supported with replacement parts.

good luck!

The stove was actually built in 1983, but all Resolutes have the 1979 stamped on the stove. As someone who believes in repairing and reusing until no longer useful, I was first looking for a fix for this stove, nostalgia having little to do with it. Before I discard a perfectly good woodstove, I was seeking advice on a simple gasket that usually costs less than $5 a foot. I will say, I was disappointed that this forum didn't provide any advice for real people who rely on a woodstove for heat. Based on the 2 replies, it appears that commenters are woodstove hobbyists or elitists, not working class folk. I have used this stove for more than 30 years to stay warm. Yes, I'd love to replace it with a newer, more efficient model, but it's like my car, I'll use it as long as it can be repaired and works. Investing in a new one isn't an option without sacrificing something else. This is what I have found as options for unskilled folks like me:

1. Purchase what I believe is the correct size gasket 5/16" from amazon: 7 ft for less than $10. I'm thinking I could use the woodstove gasket cement to fix it to the glass in order to put the double panes back together and reinsert them in the door. I have been unable to figure out if it's safe to apply the cement to the glass.
2. I found a website: https://cozycabinstoveandfireplaceparts.com They have what I think are the original parts for the stove. We'll see when they arrive.
3. If I had money to purchase a new woodstove, I probably would install central heat and air in my home instead of slaving over cutting, splitting, and hauling wood to stay warm. As a 55 year old woman and a front yard like Machu Picchu, it gets harder each year.

Resolute Vermont Casting.jpg

Reactions: newjudd
i don't see any hobbyists or elitist answers here. if you are a single middle age woman with limited experience repairing a wood stove living on a mountain top, be mindful that incorrect repairs will make a stove less efficient at best, or burn the house down at worst. keep digging on google, the answers are out there. perhaps an easier solution is to shop for solid cast replacement doors (any color). the glass is unnecessary. look on ebay, Facebook, craigslist, etc. could run several hundred for the doors. or as suggested, if you can find a parts stove local to you.

given your location, age, gender, single hood, you should have central heat as primary, wood heat as supplemental.

Reactions: fbelec
how dare you come on here and with 2 posts thinking you know everyone involved here. i am working class, and i take offense to what you said about this forum and the people that are here volunteering their time to try and help you. just because you didn't hear what you wanted to hear doesn't mean you can come on here and extend your disappointment and bash this forum and the people who try to help you.

I did think it was a little humorous to here "buy another stove even if it does not have glass doors and use those til you find parts"