Windows 8.1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
Due to XP service ending, I thought I might as well get a new computer to replace one of my primary use XP computers. I bought a HP Pavilion 500-246 with a AMD A10-5700 Quad Core, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 TB HD with windows 8.1 from OfficeMax. Was $100 off so I figured I might as well get it.

Does anyone else use 8.1 and do you have any tips or know of any apps that it make it less like a smartphone?
Like an app to make it look and feel like Win 7, would be nice.

I just bought two laptops with 8.1 on it. Didn't get the touch screen machines. Use the desktop and it is pretty easy. I like the thing. On around April 1st an update is coming out that should make it better for non-touchscreen users.

To boot to the desktop instead of the start screen, do this.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/fl/boot-to-desktop-windows-8.htm

Mama always said that if I didn't have something nice to say.....

Last edited:
I will have to check out classic shell.

Thanks for your responses, I knew people on here would know the answer. :cool:

i bought a new desktop and 2 laptops a few months back with 8.0 on them, havent updated to 8.1 yet , i really dont care if it boots up to a normal desktop , i can bring that screen up easily enough.

I've been a Windows owner since the early painful days of Windows 3.1. It's come a long ways, but I just got a MacBook Pro as my main machine. Having worked in both OS's for a very long time I am going for simpler in retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.