Winslow P140 fresh air intake appears to be.. Missing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

anesthes

Feb 1, 2019
Salem, NH
I picked this pellet insert used. I have the manual. There is a round connection on the back that appears to be for a 2" fresh air intake hose, however, that connection does not go to anything. I feel like there should be another part connecting that hose to the combusion chamber. I looked online and found a picture of another P140 and it appeared the same.

I'm confused as to what good connecting a hose to this will do since it would only provide outside are near the stove, not actually in the combust-ion chamber.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20190201_193409.jpg
    IMG_20190201_193409.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20190201_193401.jpg
    IMG_20190201_193401.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 139
The problem is, the circulation blower takes it's air in from the same area in the back of the unit too, so even if I sealed the unit to the fireplace opening and provided an outside air source, it would also draw it's circulation air from the outside. I'd rather it be heating air from the room, rather than blowing in 0 degree air from outside and trying to heat it.

This is a silly design for an insert. At minimum it should be sucking the air in from the room at the FRONT of the unit and heating it. That would make sealing the unit to the fireplace and providing a outside air source easier.

Sooo dumb.. I almost want to sell it and buy something else now. Ugh.