Winslow PS40 Pellet Feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sdfrosty1

Feb 15, 2018
South Dakota
I purchased a Winslow PS40 2 years ago and have done regular maintenance on it. Up until the last month the stove has worked great. but the problem that I am having now is the pellets are not feeding into the pot on a regular basis. The light on the control panel indicates the auger is functioning and it sounds as if the auger is running, but the pellets do not feed, and at times the fire nearly goes out. Also, if I have the side doors are open for additional air it does seem to help.

When I do turn down the auger feed the fire almost goes out before before the auger feeds enough pellets to keep the fire going.

Any ideas of what is going on?

I purchased a Winslow PS40 2 years ago and have done regular maintenance on it. Up until the last month the stove has worked great. but the problem that I am having now is the pellets are not feeding into the pot on a regular basis. The light on the control panel indicates the auger is functioning and it sounds as if the auger is running, but the pellets do not feed, and at times the fire nearly goes out. Also, if I have the side doors are open for additional air it does seem to help.

When I do turn down the auger feed the fire almost goes out before before the auger feeds enough pellets to keep the fire going.

Any ideas of what is going on?
Okay maybe this will help with some thoughts on what is going on.

The stove starts fine and everything appears to work until it heats up. Then the auger runs constantly on high until the stove over heats. The auger feed light stays on but the auger does not run until the stove cools down and by that time the flame is out.

On lower settings the stove starts fine and then after heating up the feed light indicates that the auger should be running (but not at a constant timing as on high) but the auger does not run until the flame is out.

Any thoughts? Stove has been cleaned completely multiple times just trying to figure out what needs to be replaced. A $20 sensor or a $400 control panel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is your manual Sdfrosty1. Check pg 27 could be a vacuum switch or a snap disc. You can bypass them with a jumper wire. Do the testing one at a time. Also check the vac hose and nozzle it attaches to.
http://www.homeandhearth-mainst.com/winslow.pdf

I have a Winslow PS 40 and had the same kind of problem. The stove would start up fine but after running for a few hours it would stop feeding pellets until there was none in the burn pot and then no flame to send heat into home. Cleaned the proof of fire snap switch which is located on the combustion blower and that solved the problem. I now clean it after each ton of pellet.

I have a Winslow PS 40 and had the same kind of problem. The stove would start up fine but after running for a few hours it would stop feeding pellets until there was none in the burn pot and then no flame to send heat into home. Cleaned the proof of fire snap switch which is located on the combustion blower and that solved the problem. I now clean it after each ton of pellet.

Here is an update. I have jumped the vacuum switch and the snap disc with no real results. When starting the stove it works ok until it heats up (half hour or so). Then the auger only works intermittently. The auger light on the control panel indicates the auger should be running but only runs every so often until the flame goes out. I have cleaned the proof of fire switch several times and all the blower motors and chimney. It acts like something, possibly the auger motor over heats and fails to operate on a consistent basis especially on the higher settings. When starting the stove on lower settings it works fine but after turning it up or starting on the higher settings is when the problem seems to occur. Any thoughts?

Also, when starting the stove on high, it starts fine and auger runs as it should until it starts to heat up. When it starts to get to temperature the auger runs continuously until something starts to over heat and then the auger stops but the control panel indicates the auger should be running at the normal pace.

Perhaps the auger, or auger motor, is binding up when it gets hot.

Is your igniting light going off and is it throwing a red light code? Also, if you get eyes on your actual auger motor, see if it’s turning when the board says it is. If it’s shutting down with a red code before the igniting light goes off, but feeding correctly until that point it is likely a bad pof. If it does the same thing with vs or overtemp bypassed, it’s probably not a cleaning issue but make sure you’ve taken off the four side plates and run a vacuum hos through those areas and brush the flue just to be safe.

I am tending to agree with Heat Seeker. There are no error codes that show up. I am going to replace the auger motor as that seems to be the problem even after jumpering and cleaning the other parts. After a few months of fighting this it all points to the auger motor because on lower settings it works okay (not great after heating up). It is the higher settings that are the real problem. After I replace the auger motor I will let everyone know. Thank you everyone for your ideas. I have learned more about my stove then the manual ever could teach me.

I am tending to agree with Heat Seeker. There are no error codes that show up. I am going to replace the auger motor as that seems to be the problem even after jumpering and cleaning the other parts. After a few months of fighting this it all points to the auger motor because on lower settings it works okay (not great after heating up). It is the higher settings that are the real problem. After I replace the auger motor I will let everyone know. Thank you everyone for your ideas. I have learned more about my stove then the manual ever could teach me.
If your replacing the motor you might go ahead and pull your auger while your at it to make sure it’s clean and dry and to check the two bearings to be sure they are running smooth.

I keep going back to the thought that the stove heats up and the control indicates the auger should be running but it is only running intermittently. When the auger runs it seems to run fine and it is leading me to think that it may be the hopper lid switch as the wire from the control panel goes to the over temp snap switch, then to the hopper lid switch and then to the motor. Is there a way I can test this switch to make sure it is not the problem before ordering a new auger motor?

As another note sometimes the auger does almost like a false or very short start. The control panel indicates it should be running at this time. This is why I am wondering if it is the hopper lid switch.