Winter 2014 nat gas prices New England

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I heard from a reliable source that natural gas contracts for industrial gas for winter 2015 to 2016 is $15 per MMBTU, a major increase from past years.

I expect with prices like that there are going to be lot of folks looking at pellets and wood this winter.

eia projections upload_2014-7-20_7-6-33.png

Figure 10 gals of HHO to 1MMBTU, and oil is closer to $35/MMBTU, more than 2X that of (projected) residential gas at $15/MMBTU.

If 1 ton of pellets is 12 MBTU, then $200/ton is $17/MBTU.

I don't think I'd switch from nat gas for pellets just yet.

My wind powered HP is delivering me MMBTUs at $13 each, seasonal average.

Last edited:
Well if natural gas goes up so will pellets. Pellet production uses lots of electricity.

That chart looks inverted. Why is Nat Gas price shown increasing in Spring time with a peak price in July???

Electricity peaks in the summer, gobbling up lots of gas??

Yes, lots of power plants switching to natural gas and they are feeding higher cooling demands in the summer.

Local numbers including add on charges per therm- Dec 2013 $.66, Jan 2014 $.77, Feb $.88, March $1.88, April $1.06 haven't looked for the last couple months to depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.