Winter damage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Midalake

Aug 22, 2010
UP of MI
Hi, been out of the game for a while. will need some help as to put my chimney back to handle snow loads.
So Long metal roof, had angle on the roof to slow snow coming down but still had the rod supports ripped off the roof. So my questions are: What do I need to do to stop failure?
All insurance work, so please share what might be your A+ set-up

Has anyone used one of these, or is there similar? https://snoblox-snojax.com/products/accessories/vent-pipe-and-chimney-protection/

Also I will be in new of new Metal-fab pieces. Is there a good outlet to order from.

Thanks Dave

Attachments

• 60704385581__58CACBDD-A1E4-49F0-897A-D274849981AD.jpeg
    60704385581__58CACBDD-A1E4-49F0-897A-D274849981AD.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 247
Is that standing seam? Are you trying to avoid roof penetrations and therefore clamping onto the ridges with an S!5 or similar? I've looked into that snowblox but I liked a larger wedge for a chimney. I can have something custom fabricated for $150 that will have clamping points welded on.

Are U talking about the
"Snow-Wedge (ESW)"
If so, this will not address my clamping system? Or tieback system that got ripped off.

Your clamping system might have been less stressed if the snow was diverted away from your chimney.
Then again, your pic doesn't show a whole lot of roof support, so I don't know what you used.

Reactions: JimBear
Some snow guards above it on the roof and it really doesn't look like you have proper flashing there either

Also if you anchor the supports higher on the roof they won't have as much snow load. And they will be angled harder diverting the snow forces as well

Reactions: JimBear
Is it possible to just route the flue through the attic space and pop out closer to the peak of the roof? You could likely get the length sticking out short enough that supports would not be needed, plus with the flue closer to the peak, less snow load overall. Seems like an ounce of prevention would be worth a pound of cure in this case?

Reactions: savageactor7
Is it possible to just route the flue through the attic space and pop out closer to the peak of the roof? You could likely get the length sticking out short enough that supports would not be needed, plus with the flue closer to the peak, less snow load overall. Seems like an ounce of prevention would be worth a pound of cure in this case?

Absolutely not.

Is that standing seam? Are you trying to avoid roof penetrations and therefore clamping onto the ridges with an S!5 or similar? I've looked into that snowblox but I liked a larger wedge for a chimney. I can have something custom fabricated for $150 that will have clamping points welded on.

Not standing seam. Conventional lap metal.

Think some snow bars to stop the snow from sliding would help.

All insurance work, so please share what might be your A+ set-up

Just make sure you know how much insurance is paying before you commit to anything. Typically shouldn't expect to get a replacement that is better than you had but you may have a policy that says otherwise.