Winter finally arrived... in March

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Wow, after a very mild winter, we are getting a big dose of winter here in mid-March. Regularly getting down into the teens, and a nasty snow event.

When I looked out the window yesterday, I felt relieved, only about 6-8 inches on the ground, when up to two feet were called for. My relief quickly faded when I went to clean up. It was 6-8 inches of sleet. Heaviest and stickiest I have ever encountered. Blower wouldn't move it, and every heavy shovel full stuck to the shovel. It actually had a aqua blue tint to it. I've never seen that before.

Reactions: vinny11950
Blower wouldn't move it, and every heavy shovel full stuck to the shovel.

I feel your pain that stuff was a PITA to work with. My 2 stroke single stage Toro did the job.

For your blower, look up snowblower mod on youtube. Consists of adding rubber paddles to the impeller on a 2 stage. Makes night and day difference even with slush which the enemy of the 2 stage.

Friend just did it and is tickled at the performance. Turned an almost useless machine into a worker. *Used in the same snow you just had and worked great according to him.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I feel your pain that stuff was a PITA to work with. My 2 stroke single stage Toro did the job.

For your blower, look up snowblower mod on youtube. Consists of adding rubber paddles to the impeller on a 2 stage. Makes night and day difference even with slush which the enemy of the 2 stage.

Friend just did it and is tickled at the performance. Turned an almost useless machine into a worker. *Used in the same snow you just had and worked great according to him.
I have read about that a bit, and wondered every time I had to stop to clear, if that would have helped. I'm adding it to my list of projects. That list is now up to 97. When I reach 100, I'm going to have to start prioritizing...

Reactions: jatoxico
I have read about that a bit, and wondered every time I had to stop to clear, if that would have helped

I have not heard of anyone who did not feel this mod made a huge difference. I have the single stage which is a great machine and a good quality 2 stage that works great in big snow but wet stuff is tough. I'm thinking of doing it to make the 2 stage that much more useful.

I have not heard of anyone who did not feel this mod made a huge difference. I have the single stage which is a great machine and a good quality 2 stage that works great in big snow but wet stuff is tough. I'm thinking of doing it to make the 2 stage that much more useful.
Please take some pictures when you do it, if you think of it at the time. Darn it, why don't the manufacturers just do it to begin with?

why don't the manufacturers just do it to begin with?

This has been the one question that I've been asking as I research looking for the catch. Seems like a cheap addition that improves performance and they could even sell as a consumable. They love consumables!

No answer ever found to that question but everybody says the benefits are real. Check it out on youtube. Before you know it you'll be watching extreme snow clearing in Japan and wondering where the time went. By then it will be spring and you can put snowblowers at the bottom of your list.