Winter headed towards the East Coast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
The storm system currently moving up the east coast today is likely to be accompanied by some violent weather in places. 2 tornadoes already reported in the Carolinas and many places today will see strong wind, brief heavy downpours and isolated thunder. All this because some of the coldest air of the season is poised to pour into the eastern portions of the US, and it looks like it will be sticking around for quite awhile, a couple of weeks perhaps or more. There should be some lake effect snows ocurring at times, upslope snows in the western slopes of mountains, perhaps even a coastal outbreak of light snow early next week. Flurries here or there for most everyone over the next 10 days or so. Aren't you glad you have a wood stove? :) For all those waitng to see how it really performs, now you'll get to play away.

Good, I 'm tired of on and off 24/7. At least I've gotten rid of most of my junk wood.

I am not sure I would call it winter weather yet; it is 54 now and forecast to be windy but near 60 through weekend in my part of Maine. 40's forecast for days after that.

I guess it's time to rake the leaves, then. A couple of big Oaks in my yard decided to shed all their remaining leaves during last weekends rain storm, and due to weather & work I havent had time to clean them up yet. And these trees had a sh*tload of leaves on them... Oh well, now I have two reasons to chop 'em down next spring.

Sealcove said:
I am not sure I would call it winter weather yet; it is 54 now and forecast to be windy but near 60 through weekend in my part of Maine. 40's forecast for days after that.

I think you misread his post - FOLLOWING the current we are having - as in behind it, winter weather follows. I think nights consistently below freezing counts as winter weather - or at a minimum, wood burning weather.

Should be swapping the Olympic out of downstairs today for my Castine. Then I have some time to get the Olympic installed upstairs.

65 here in worcester county today, by monday down to 38 day time 22 night time. The day time high is forecast at 39 for the foreseeable 10 days!

As I said, 40's forecast in my part of Maine for the coming week, and evening temps barely forecast to hit freezing. Just saying that it is not going to be cold everywhere in NE.

Sealcove said:
As I said, 40's forecast in my part of Maine for the coming week, and evening temps barely forecast to hit freezing. Just saying that it is not going to be cold everywhere in NE.

Night time temp for 10 day forecast in MA is 22-28 degrees

mikepinto65 said:
Night time temp for 10 forecast in MA is 22-28 degrees

I'm not arguing that it wont be colder elsewhere in New England, or that cooler air might make its way here a few days later. Just looking at my current forecast that's all. I'm 170 miles from the closest portion of MA, so we don't necessarily share the same weather.

Oh I know, just sharing my weather since this is a winter weather post and that our night time temps are definitely below freezing

It's coming....snow comimg over the lake as we write...."Lk Micigan" forecast is high in the thirty's all week... about time! poss 12" on the ground by Monday

wood wacker said:
It's coming....snow comimg over the lake as we write...."Lk Micigan" forecast is high in the thirty's all week... about time! poss 12" on the ground by Monday

I agree, bout time, I am very tired myself of on night time fire and off day time fires.

I live almost on the water in Buzzards Bay, Ma.

It can be 10 to fifteen degrees warmer than just 10 miles inland. In the Fall. The water is warm.
It can be chillier in the Spring, the water is still cold.

I have to use the Marthas Vineyard forecast rather than Providence or Boston.
Not uncommon to have to drive as little as a mile north/inland to see snow.

It has been warmer than norm, althought the slast couple days have been chilly.

Get the Winter clothes on standby for sure.

Checking on some updates on the progress of the current storm system. Henry Margusity of Accuweather is one of my favorite weather Bloggers to follow. http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-...11/change_to_snow_gusty_storms_long_range.asp This is a bold prediction by him and Joe Bastardi; coldest December in 20 years on the East Coast!, but it certainly is not without merit. Many meteorologists over the past 10 days or so have been discussing what increasingly looks to be a significant change in the overall weather pattern to produce some prolonged East Coast cold. Will storminess occur also? It is my observation that often certain patterns become entrenched and in hindsight (where our best forecasting always occurs ;-)) come to typify a given season. Fun (if you like winter weather) to look forward at what might be.

With upper 30s to mid 40s for highs and low to mid 20s at night i think ill be doing alot more burning next week.

I have been watching the weather for NH after hearing rumor of flurries. I haven't seen any snow in the forecast or any cold air. But then again, I really don't like wether channel.

Bummer. Stove has been idle for 5 days. We are supposed to touch 80 here today (and maybe tomorrow). I haven't worn short in November since my college days in the desert east of Los Angeles.

Please be warned, it is Code Chartreuse. STORM WARNING. Run quickly to stock up on bread and milk and candles and batteries...quickly now. Bread and milk, bread and milk. Get out your moisture meters and thermo laser guns and 50 ton splitters and 36" 82cc chainsaws; it is coming, it is coming. It is winter. Oh my god, it is winter. Clean your 'glass' immediately.
Be prepared....in fact you may burst into song now :
"Be Prepared is the Boy Scouts' marching song,
Be prepared as we go merrily along............................" w. apologies to Tom Lehrer, Veritas

downeast said:
Please be warned, it is Code Chartreuse. STORM WARNING. Run quickly to stock up on bread and milk and candles and batteries...quickly now. Bread and milk, bread and milk.

Yankees! I swear. Ya forgot to say stock up on beer. :coolsmirk:

mikepinto65 said:
wood wacker said:

I agree, bout time, I am very tired myself of on night time fire and off day time fires.
yea, she's like an old diesel once you get her fired up she wants to burn !!

BrotherBart said:
downeast said:
Please be warned, it is Code Chartreuse. STORM WARNING. Run quickly to stock up on bread and milk and candles and batteries...quickly now. Bread and milk, bread and milk.

you should never be unstocked on beer! and I find that Gentelmen Jack has GREAT btu's

BrotherBart said:
downeast said:

Thanks BB, knew there was something missing on the grocery list. "Honey..storm's coming, could you run to the store and get bread, milk, eggs, candles, batteries, and 3 cases of beer :cheese: ,...please? :cheese:

jpl1nh said:
BrotherBart said:
downeast said:

Thanks BB, knew there was something missing on the grocery list. "Honey..storm's coming, could you run to the store and get bread, milk, eggs, candles, batteries, and 3 cases of beer :cheese: ,...please? :cheese:
Don't forget the jack !

I actually fired off the furnace today. I figured I should burn the crap off the heat exchanger when it's warm enough to open the windows.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.