Winter isn't finished yet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am officially sick of winter.

BrotherBart said:
I am officially sick of winter.

Amen.

We had about a foot when I was digging out the end of my driveway to go to work. Plow probably came by again and I'll have to do it all over to get home.

ya looks like its over now for the most part 18 inches on my deck. deeper drifts. still have 2 chords lefts.

March091.jpg

March092.jpg

March097.jpg

March098.jpg

About 12 inches this morning. It finally broke around 10:30AM and started up again around 1:30PM. On and off since then and maybe an inch or two more. My Sadie girl likes to chill instead of play in the snow. She'll go out to go to the bathroom, but eager to get back in and toast.

Attachments

• Picture 088.jpg
    Picture 088.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 202
  • Sadie.JPG
    Sadie.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 182
Smart girl !!

Around eight inches of the white stuff on the ground and headed for eight degrees tonight. We admit it, we are wimps. Want it to go away.

Hey BB, I think we got more down here in Richmond than you did up "North". Probably about 10". I'll post some pics when I get chance.

Ridge pupples unite !!!!!!

Had a wreck to look at today, was a white out for the entire 60 mile drive. Interstate 80 was crawling at 35 to 40 mph.
Needless to say, a 2wd ford ranger sucks in even a light, mist let alone snow, nearly shat myself changing lanes & almost kissing a tractor trailer.
Guess rolling your truck on black ice on the turnpike will have a lasting affect on a person, I know it did me.
Temp dropped continually all day. Sun came out about noon and the roads melted at least.
Right now its 14f, with 16mph winds & 29mph gusts, says it feels like -2 and supposed to drop well below zero through the night.
At the base of a mountain, its more gusts than anything. Feels like we live in a wind tunnel. If I could afford a good windmill for power,
I would, but never see the payback in my lifetime, and don't have the cash anyways.
Tomorrow, more of the same temps. Then this weekend supposedly 40ish, maybe a day near 50. Of course that is too far away to believe it won't change.
I had enough myself. Time for the 2 weeks of spring before the hot, humid summer fun.

Guess rolling your truck on black ice on the turnpike will have a lasting affect on a person, I know it did me.

Hogs, you rolled you're truck? You OK?

I have read threads here all winter on how you all back east and in the mid-west and the pacific northwest have been clobbered this winter. Happened here several winters ago and it was challenging to say the least.

No storms here. In fact it was 73* today - for those of you in Alaska there is no '-' before those numbers - and I had to water our lawn and trees/shrubs the other day due to lack of moisture and wind to beat the band.

Lots of wood left over for next winter - if we have one. At this rate instead of expected use of 4 cords we got by with about 2 or 2 1/2......kids are getting lazy.

Good luck to all of you with this new storm front. Glad most of you still have wood and have your 'routine' down pat.

We only ended up with 7 inches here . . . but even with last Friday's melting and rain showers overnight we still have over 2 feet of snow and the drifting in some places is crazy -- one of my windows in my mudroom is half covered with snow and the snow pile is about eye level with my master bedroom window (but that's because I rake the roof after each storm and so the snow builds up under the roof line.) As much as I hate to admit it . . . I'm starting to make the transition between loving winter/snowmobiling and getting ready for Spring to start . . . besides I have some wood I need to split and it's still under all that snow. :) ;)

We ended up with @ 12". Temps headed down to about 12deg last night, I had nice cruising burn going all day used two loads up till about 10:30 house was about 74 deg. Loaded up for a good long burn during the night, damped down to about 1/8th open had nice ghost flames working well with 450 stove top temp. Up at 6:00 this morning stove still warm , but no coals checked the lait lever, open up to 1/2 and about six splits missing from the tub. My son and his girlfriend must have wanted to watch a late movie and screwed my nice long burn. Were gonna have a talk.
Hank

Status
Not open for further replies.