WinterWarm - changes gaskets and now not enough heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
Hello all,

I have a VC WinterWarm (large) fireplace, and it was giving me plenty of heat, until I replaced the damper and door gaskets (replacement went well, nice and easy job).

Now I have a loooooong burning fireplace that keeps hot coals alive overnight and even all day. However, since the leaks have gone I can't seem to get it piping hot any more, I mean it terms of standing in front of it 6 feet away and really feeling the heat. I do get loads of heat from the exchanger blowing out and floating up, but in my cathedral ceiling home they are mostly wasted.

Any tips of making it hotter? Do I need to clear a vent or something? I almost want to remove some of the door gasket, or something.

Thanks for any help,

Dean

What kind of wood are you burning ?
How big is the home ?
Are you saying its not getting hot enough to heat the room or the whole house ?
Are you running ceiling fans ?
Are the cathedral ceiling through the whole house ot just the 1 room ?
Whats your Location?
Whats the outside air temp as you are running the stove ?

Roospike said:
What kind of wood are you burning ?
How big is the home ?
Are you saying its not getting hot enough to heat the room or the whole house ?
Are you running ceiling fans ?
Are the cathedral ceiling through the whole house ot just the 1 room ?
Whats your Location?
Whats the outside air temp as you are running the stove ?
Maple, Oak.
3000 sq ft
Room.
No Fans.
One grand room (living room), with cathedral ceilings to a hallway upstairs. Both floors open to other rooms and whole house.
NJ
30-40 degrees F.

High Efficiency - 78% - more heat from less wood,
Large fireviewing area with clean, durable, ceramic glass,
Easy swing-out ash pan with cover,
High heat output - up to 50,000 BTU/hr,
Rheostat controlled twin fans for heat circulation,
Very low smoke emissions - 2.1 grams/hour,
Standard sparkscreen for open fireviewing,
Solid, durable cast-iron construction,
Long overnight burn times,
Solid brass trim around door,
Conveniently located controls,
Thermostatic control for steady, even heatOptions,
Two porcelain enamel color choices: Sand and Midnight,
Optional Outside air kit,
Optional Powerful 260 CFM cabinet blower for increased heatingpower and circulation,
Optional Surround panels to compliment a variety of facing materials for a neat, finished appearance

Sounds like right off hand you are in need of some ceiling fans to push the heat back down and to move the heat around .

One grand room (living room), with cathedral ceilings to a hallway upstairs. Both floors open to other rooms and whole house.
How hot is it getting up stairs ?

Roospike said:
Sounds like right off hand you are in need of some ceiling fans to push the heat back down and to move the heat around .

How hot is it getting up stairs ?

Now that sounds like a good idea (the fan) - never thought of that. Here's a pic of the room (its a mosaic of 2 pics so I could get it all in).

Dean

Attachments

• DSCN2245both.JPG
    DSCN2245both.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 320
O" Yeah , Your getting the heat ....... up stairs . :)
50,000 max BTU stove FP with 3,000 sf of home , Lot of house for the stated stove.
I bet its nice and warm up stairs. Your getting a lot of convection heat ( heated air ) with your stove and it goes straight up. I would think for something like this home set up a radiant style heater to heat the surrounding would help keep some of the heat down stairs to keep it down stairs.

I think best bet IMO would be to go with a ceiling fan on either side of the hearth as high as you can get on the ceiling.

Dean I think you were so used to maxing out that stove that 500 /600 degrees seems cool

It sounds to me that now you have the control you always needed Stoves work best at 24/7 usage constantly building and maintaing heat
You have to now judge the lenght of burns over a constant 500/ 600 temp range

Good to see the gaskets on the door was your main problem for overfiring

Status
Not open for further replies.