Q&A Winterwarm is puffing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

hi there,i have a v.c. winterwarm,approx eight years old,i burn oak > that is usually aged two years,this year i have started experiencing > lots of backpuffing.the chimney pipe is clean,could this mean my cat > is going bad ? or what ?the backpuffing takes place mostly at > night,when we put on a log for the night and damp down the stove and > turn off the fan. > please help me out if possible,your site is outstanding...thanks jim >

Answer:

You actually solved the problem yourself-------------2 year old oak is "infamous" for creating the backpuffing scenario.

Overly dry wood, like yours, tends to give off its smoke & gases all at once, versus gradually like wood that has more moisture. At the same time, you'll get a hot fire from this fuel which causes the WW's thermostat flap to close. So now, you have a condition where you have a firebox full of gases, and poor air flow. Eventually, you'll have air entering and mixing with the now super-heated smoke & gases--------poof!!! You have secondary ignition taking place where only primary combustion typically occurs.

Solution: Use or mix in wood that's less seasoned----wood that has more moisture. And, don't close the t-stat too much. Play around until you find the right combination, but you're wood is usually the source of aggravation.

Also: Be sure that the combustor is free of ash accumulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.