wiring vc reliance controls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tingeezer

Feb 21, 2021
Trinidad, CO
Hi, new here, just bought a well used reliance stove, the previous owner cut the control switches and left me with six wires hanging out. I have figured out the start and stop wires. Its the other four wires that have me confused. I think two go to the rheostat for the fan and the other two have something to do with the thermostat setting. Looking at the white six pin connector, starting from the right hand side pins one and two are the momentary switches for start and stop . Does any one know how pins three thru six are wired. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

20210221_131318.jpg

What is the model?

The wiring diagram is towards the end of the manual Here

I have that, but it doesn't show how the wires connect to the switches. It just says where it plugs in on the board. I either need a new control panel (that's what they call it) or the start, stop, thermometer select switch and the min max stove temp rheostat. And how to wire them in.

Ok i see which one you need. Thats gonna be a reverse engineering task or buy a replacement. I have done a few similar to that with daughter boards (huge pita)

A replacement would be great, don't know where to look, a google search came up empty. I have figured out the start and stop wires. It starts when I momentarily touch the #6 wire to 110 volts the exhaust fan runs as well as the feed motor. I can shut it off by touching the #4 wire to 110 volts. I have tested each of the other wires with my ohm meter, with the power off, I get a reading between wire #2 and wire #5 I get nothing between wires #1 and 5

3 wires will go to the temperature potentiometer one will go to the wiper(middle usually) and the other 2, the will go on each side. But how they relate to the board could take hours of tracing ea circuit. Is there an electronics repair near you.

I would contact VC and see if they have a daughter board or where you could get one

I know much of the VC 2220 Reliance is Harmon, I think VC got out of the line in the mid 1990s. I did have this thread earmarked, and a noter to me that the control board is a Harmon f851A

Hope it helps, great stove as long as I burn real high quality pellets.

Thanks, I need the control panel, the one with the switches not the control board . It's confusing trying to find the part, it's listed as a control panel and all that pops up is control boards. I will try to contact vc today and see if they can help.

Reactions: tbear853
I see now, under the lid over to left ... Not sure how the panel comes out. If it's just two threaded screws into tapped holes with no nuts, I'll take a look later, stoves hot and running now and cold out Think I'd unplug first to look? Control Panel 5000003. I looked on google, not much there. UPDATED BELOW PIC:

control panel.jpg

UPDATED: I tried, I shut it down, unplugged, and turned the first screw back to remove and it just turned with no backing out so there is a nut behind it out of access, so I stopped and plugged her back in and touched the green go button. I had camera ready, maybe user "Bill A." here has a picture, I know he had one apart in 2018, took a lot of pics too. Send him a PM maybe? https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/newbie-here-with-vermont-castings-reliance-2220.170230/

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko
That's the part, the previous owner just cut the wires off and I didn't get the switches or plate. If you can get a picture of how the the wires are connected that might help. there should be slack in the wire bundle enough to pull it out to look at. thanks for the assist

Hello TinGeezer
At the time I was troubleshooting the stove I did look at the wiring for the the little control panel on the top of the stove. It's pretty simple, +10V from the board, goes to each of the switches, and one side of the potentiometer. It also goes to the Tstat switch, I think to the center, the movable arm of the switch. Each switch comes back to a pin on the connector. A common or ground goes to the opposite side of the potentiometer and the center wiper of the pot goes to it's own pin.

I never wrote down the exact order of the pins, or made a wiring diagram since I was able to get the stove up and running with the existing board.
If you get really stuck on this, let me know, and I will buzz out mine and draw it up for you.
Hope this helps
Bill

Hello Tingeezer, see attached pix.
Note that pin 1 of the connector is closest to the top of the stove.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1137.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 170
Hello Tingeezer, see attached pix.
Note that pin 1 of the connector is closest to the top of the stove.
Interesting, I see threads in the holes, but when I loosened the first screw, it didn't back out nor will it tighten back in ... so I figured must be a nut under the top plate.

Bill, I think you just saved my bacon. I just ordered the pot and switch from ebay I will be forever grateful.
Got it all put back together, Bill's drawing did the job, waited longer for parts than it took to fix. I replaced my missing handles too, used deer horn. Thanks to Bill and tbear. Hope this will help others.

Attachments

• 20210223_120935.jpg
    20210223_120935.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 20210303_135157.jpg
    20210303_135157.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 20210301_121642.jpg
    20210301_121642.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: Washed-Up
Love the red, did you make the horn handles yourself ?