Without a truck to move firewood anymore.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RoseRedHoofbeats said:
Absolutely! I was positively boggled that my husband had NEVER USED A CHAINSAW before yesterday. I just stared at him in abject horror and asked, "But, what did your family do when a tree limb fell down? Or you needed firewood? Your parents live out in the country! They have two fireplaces!"

"We called the tree service people. Or Dad did it."

-50000 guy points. And then he tried to use it wearing flip-flops and I seriously considered if that was grounds for divorce. I cannot believe I married such a city boy! And didn't even KNOW it! *sigh* This is what I get for moving out of Texas.

I think I was 12 the first time my dad let me use a chainsaw (not by myself, obviously, just "this is a chainsaw, this is the chainbrake, this is the release trigger, this is the trigger, hold it like this, saw the log in half, etc"). I know I was younger than that when I used the table saw or the recip saw or the jigsaw or basically anything that could have sliced my hand off. I was 6 the first time he took me hunting and could barely even lift the shotgun. I'm pretty good with anything involving construction or wood (or at least know the general theory and can figure it out from there). Am slightly hopeless when it comes to cars but at least I know a good mechanic when I see one and know when I'm getting ripped off, compared to some of my friends who'll pay $500 for new brakepads.

~Rose

Your husband sounds like my wife. At least my wife was born on Long Island and her dad is a "Hire a Professional" type of guy for the most part.

Me, I am like you, just the opposite sex. I got to pull the trigger on my dad's 12 gauge at the age of 5. Couldn't understand why I didn't kill the buzzard I was aiming at over a mile away that appeared to be a speck in the sky, but it was fun nonetheless. Got to hunt on my own at the age of 8 with a .410 shotgun. Didn't kill anything for quite a while, but I was at least out in the woods. I am going to take my daughter with me next year when she is 5 years old and see if she likes it.

My wife and I have been talking about putting in a 40x40 addition on the new house which will have living space above and a 4 bay, 8 car garage/work area below. I plan on making a good amount of it a wood working shop and then installing a vehicle lift in it. If all goes as planned, I will be in hog heaven in about 5 or so years.

It really does amaze me what people are charged for brake jobs. If the rotors/drums don't need to be replaced, the repair is less than $100 in parts and it is really easy. Even when I had to replace all 4 rotors and the pads on my truck it was only around $300 for parts. For the cars it runs about $200 for rotors and pads. The repair takes less than an hour. Had a friend of mine get rid of his car because the dealer quoted him $800+ for a brake job. Told him he should have called me and I would have done it for $500. I guess the good thing about cars and other equipment is that I actually get some personal joy out of figuring out how to do the repairs myself.

Was down in Tampa in May and my in-laws were quoted $700+ by their mechanic to have a fuel filling issue repaired on their Sonata. I went online, figured out what the problem was and they bought the evap canister the next day from the dealer for $200. It was a 30 minute repair. They are still thanking me for fixing it.

Have your five year old play bird dog. Trust me, she'll love it. And let her keep some of the feathers. Unless you're going deer hunting in blinds. In which case, good luck, because I don't even want to imagine a tired five year old in a deer blind at four in the morning. I couldn't have hit the backside of a barn until I was in my teens but you're right, it's fun just being out in the woods and shooting a gun off. There's a little bow and arrow sized for kids that I had growing up, and I got one for my stepkids. My youngest stepson beat the pants off all the other boys in his Scout troop at archery last summer camp. =) http://www.amazon.com/Barnett-Outdoors-Realtree-Banshee-Compound/dp/B001NW74NK (Oh for heaven's sake, now they have a PINK one....)

~Rose

wood-fan-atic.......I need to rebuild my trailer....can you post some photos
of the back (tailgate section)......thank you

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
Have your five year old play bird dog. Trust me, she'll love it. And let her keep some of the feathers. Unless you're going deer hunting in blinds. In which case, good luck, because I don't even want to imagine a tired five year old in a deer blind at four in the morning. I couldn't have hit the backside of a barn until I was in my teens but you're right, it's fun just being out in the woods and shooting a gun off. There's a little bow and arrow sized for kids that I had growing up, and I got one for my stepkids. My youngest stepson beat the pants off all the other boys in his Scout troop at archery last summer camp. =) http://www.amazon.com/Barnett-Outdoors-Realtree-Banshee-Compound/dp/B001NW74NK (Oh for heaven's sake, now they have a PINK one....)

~Rose

Most of my hunting is wing shooting. Went dove hunting on Saturday. I actually played "bird dog" for my dad when I was 5, but had forgotten all about it. That is an awesome idea. Don't know how much my yellow lab will like it though. LOL

I don't deer hunt very much anymore because I cannot imagine a tired 40 year old in a deer stand at 4 in the morning anymore. Now, a waterfowl blind is a different story.

When I take my daughter out hunting, it will be at the farm 5 minutes down the road and it will be ALL about her. We will not stay too long such that she gets bored. I don't want this to seem like work to her.

Not only do they make bows and .22's in pink nowadays, but they make camo in pink too. My daughter keeps telling me she wants pink camo because that is her favorite color.

Status
Not open for further replies.