Woke up to a high pitch noise when auger turned &......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is no joke, dog was going nuts this morning, so after an hour I get up to see what he is barking at, come downstairs to a constant screech when auger is activated. Shut stove down figuring a bearing is going bad, once shut down I notice a large buildup of carbon so I scrape it clean & fire stove back upend all is well.

Now here are my thoughts, been burning this entire season with stove on room temp but here in Kentucky it just doesn't get cold enough, stove constantly ramps up & down, causing the carbon buildup around auger. I keep my heat pump on 68*F and registers clos d in room with the stove.
I believe from here on unless temps are below 25*F I am going to use stove temp.

Could be the pellets too. First year using the Harman I was getting the same issue. Changed pellets and have had zero issues last two seasons.

Reactions: THE ROOSTER
Where exactly are you in KY? Which stove are you running? It gets cold enough in my part but I assume you are farther south which is an entirely different weather pattern from here. We get hit a lot from the upper mid west and Great Lakes arctic blasts. You being south have more of the gulf stream effect but can see some cold snaps. We are just more prone to the cold snaps than you.

I run my P68 on room temp manual and it doesn't ramp up and down as much as auto igniter. Do you have a Harman? Put your stove model in your signature so everyone knows what you are using. KY is home to way more than just Wild Turkey. My wife is from Bardstown the Bourbon Capital of the World. LOL!

Where exactly are you in KY? Which stove are you running? It gets cold enough in my part but I assume you are farther south which is an entirely different weather pattern from here. We get hit a lot from the upper mid west and Great Lakes arctic blasts. You being south have more of the gulf stream effect but can see some cold snaps. We are just more prone to the cold snaps than you.

I run my P68 on room temp manual and it doesn't ramp up and down as much as auto igniter. Do you have a Harman? Put your stove model in your signature so everyone knows what you are using. KY is home to way more than just Wild Turkey. My wife is from Bardstown the Bourbon Capital of the World. LOL!

We have the Harman Accentra insert, stove is located on the NW side, house is well insulated. Owned this stove since 07 & been a pellet stove owner since 98, totally love my Harman, especially when it does drop down into the teens & single digits.

We are having some real cold junk now. I live in Rabbit Hash, KY south west corner of Boone Co. in Northern KY. Are you down by Cumberland or do you have a place down there or boat I see in the avatar? I see the Buckeye Navy rolling up and down I-75 all summer. LOL!

In fact my farmer neighbor just called and I will be helping him in a few. His water pump and some lines froze last night. Yippie! Just what I wanted to do today in the cold and my off time. I have to though because he cleared my long driveway all last winter while I was out of town working so the wife and kids could come and go. Payback time and he knows I can plumb stuff and seat pipes well. I'm stuck on this one......

Just have the Houseboat on Cumberland, live just west of Wild Turkey. Stove has been on room temp all day in anticipation of the teens & single digit temps. We have 25-35mph. wind so it has been burning steady.

Winds here yesterday were border line violent. Nasty. With the snow it was white out conditions and visibility was zero at times. I was out running some errands when it hit just after noon. Luckily it was so windy the snow blew off of the roads but we would have only had a couple of inches tops anyway but it was nice it was a self clearing snow. LOL!

I know where you are generally. Close to Taylorsville Lake? You are west of Lexington and north east of Bardstown. I used to go to Cumberland every summer but sold the boat and miss it now. I was too busy and wasn't boating as much but I also kept it in a slip up here on the Ohio River during the summer a lot where I could just run over there and jump in. I don't miss filling the 104 gallon tank up. I had a Formula 272.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.