Won't be burning wood next year...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
I've been fairly busy of late and not had time to read/post on the forum.

I am in the process of completing a medical and if all goes well I will be moving far. Like really far. Like "Santa is my neighbour" far. And unfortunately, there is no wood supply where I will be living. Some guys do heat with pellets but my housing will be supplied and I wont be paying the heating bills.

While I am up there, you can all come visit!

Check out the road trip we're taking when we move there...

Andrew

road trip.png

Wow. That's a long way away. How long do you plan to be there? and make sure you send us pictures; I imagine it's pretty "barren", but also very beautiful.

Wow. I wish you all the best.

I didn't realize that you lived in the Gaspe. You're moving from isolation to isolation. I've driven through the Gaspe twice and it's not exactly bursting with people.

The far north is on my bucket list but I don't think it will ever happen for me. I would prefer to move where there are trees that don't even lose their leaves in the winter, let alone a place where the "sun don't shine" mid winter.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Pray tell what you are going to do in the land of ice and snow
Drove in there 4 years ago in the middle of February
unbelievable drive over the Dempster highway in the middle of winter

Wow. I wish you all the best.

I didn't realize that you lived in the Gaspe. You're moving from isolation to isolation. I've driven through the Gaspe twice and it's not exactly bursting with people.

The far north is on my bucket list but I don't think it will ever happen for me. I would prefer to move where there are trees that don't even lose their leaves in the winter, let alone a place where the "sun don't shine" mid winter.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Yes I am in the city of Gaspe itself. And you are right: it is fairly isolated. BUT it is very nice scenery and the people are great!

It's where my job brings me, I can't complain. It could be much worse!

Andrew

Pray tell what you are going to do in the land of ice and snow
Drove in there 4 years ago in the middle of February
unbelievable drive over the Dempster highway in the middle of winter
I am going to work! My wife is super excited to go up there and the kids as well.

How'd you like the Dempster in the winter? No flats like the summer at least!!

Andrew

I am going to work! My wife is super excited to go up there and the kids as well.

How'd you like the Dempster in the winter? No flats like the summer at least!!

Andrew

Did you ever see the TV show Ice Road Truckers
The first season was shot on that highway . We used a 6x6 5 ton to haul some furniture
for a friend after you have been on that road in the winter you know why they call it
the land of ICE and SNOW. The drifting snow outside the town is unbelievable and
coming through the passes chains on . But it is one interesting place with lots to do

Reactions: Swedishchef
It should be interesting. I gotta admit I am glad my housing is heat included...the winter is long and I would likely struggle to get ahead with wood ( if there was any wood to be chucked).

Now I gotta decide what kind of a truck we will be buying. Lol.

Andrew

I don't think I'd want to live there forever, but 3 years will be a great experience. I did this run in three weeks - when I was younger…
alaska_-_small.jpg

I would buy whatever truck everyone else up there has! I saw this one in Alaska. Maybe it's for sale:

A1991 09.jpg

I don't think I'd want to live there forever, but 3 years will be a great experience. I did this run in three weeks - when I was younger…
View attachment 174854

I would buy whatever truck everyone else up there has! I saw this one in Alaska. Maybe it's for sale:

View attachment 174858
Wow. And I thought I was driving far!!!

3 years will go fast. My employer gives me a trip our for my family and I every 5 month for 1 month. So really I will be there approximately 30 months.

Andrew

I might suggest somewhere warm for your bi-annual trip . . . like Hawaii, the Caribbean, etc.

Reactions: Ashful
Are you looking for another helper? I could use 2 months of power year. Besides that, what is there to spend your money on.

Sounds like quite an adventure Andrew. Godspeed. We'll miss you.

PS: Those nights get very long. Drop in here and let us know how you are doing and your impressions of the far north. Pics of auroras would be most welcome.

Last edited:
may the wind always be at your back, especially in Jan. best of luck , i'm sure all will go well. you've always seemed a genuine person in our conversations. best of luck and Gods speed

I might suggest somewhere warm for your bi-annual trip . . . like Hawaii, the Caribbean, etc.
Or just somewhere awesome like Alaska! We plan on enjoying ourselves up there: top of the world highway to Anchorage ( see the town of Chicken, Alaska). Gotta admit, Hawaii from whitehorse was $835 taxes inc per person round trip...lol..already checked.mwe want to show the kids the west coast of North america. They are great little travellers.

Are you looking for another helper? I could use 2 months of power year. Besides that, what is there to spend your money on.
Doug: you could always apply ! I won't be making that much money as the town is a decent size with all the amenities.

Sounds like quite an adventure Andrew. Godspeed. We'll miss you.

PS: Those nights get very long. Drop in here and let us know how you are doing and your impressions of the far north. Pics of auroras would be most welcome.
Thanks BG. Means a lot coming from you. I will most certainly be taking pictures. I have a nice DSLR camera with some fancy lenses and a nice tripod. 30 days of total darkness. 56 days of total sunlight. Right now the sun is rising at 1021 am and sets a1756. We will be bringing sun lamps. Haha.

may the wind always be at your back, especially in Jan. best of luck , i'm sure all will go well. you've always seemed a genuine person in our conversations. best of luck and Gods speed
Thanks Doug. Now please keep the rest of your Nor'Easters to yourself for the rest of winter. :)

Andrew

Wow cool! What was the traditional heat back before fossil fuels? Never thought about it before. Peat? Caribou poo?

My understanding is that it was whale oil lamps.

I am not sure how our houses are heated up there. I don't think it is oil..maybe electricity. Some houses heat with propane. Some with oil....but I think mine will be with electricity.

Don't forget: everything up there is built on permafrost. Therefore the water and sewage systems are Utilidor based. Above ground piping everywhere.

From Dawson City to Inuvik you take the Dempster highway. This road is over 25 feet thick by places. They build it thick so that the permafrost will not thaw.

A

It's worth a trip up the pipeline haul road:

A1991 11.jpg

You might find airfare from Anchorage to Hawaii to be a better deal . . . I know my sister said there are quite a few folks she knows in Alaska who make the trip southward at least once in the winter to escape to somewhere warm and with more sun.

Reactions: begreen