Wood and Poison oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, I don't get it. I don't think I have EVER gotten even a red place or rash.
Now my youngest son, he can look at a patch of woods and get it all over. He gets
that from his momma I think. My oldest son is like me, never gets it. And he's a redhead,
which usually means they are sensitive to most everything.

trailrated said:
I don't know what any other fuzzy vine could be.

Virginia creeper.

I've seen the two growing side by side on the ground and up even the same tree here.

Leaves don't look anything alike except for maybe the red to green coloring.

Poison ivy can be hiding under the larger creeper leaves.

iirc the poison ivy roots are "hairier" and harder to pull off.

English Ivy probably has similar roots to attach itself to walls.

billb3 said:
trailrated said:
I don't know what any other fuzzy vine could be.

Virginia creeper.

I've seen the two growing side by side on the ground and up even the same tree here.

Leaves don't look anything alike except for maybe the red to green coloring.

Poison ivy can be hiding under the larger creeper leaves.

iirc the poison ivy roots are "hairier" and harder to pull off.

English Ivy probably has similar roots to attach itself to walls.

To further complicate things, Virgina Creeper has 3 leaflets as a juvenile plant and 5 as a mature plant. The young stuff looks a lot like poison ivy.

Backwoods Savage said:
The stuff doesn't bother me at all. Poison ivy rarely bothers me either but it was funny watching rdust when he came after some wood. He started picking up the wood a bit tenderly and it turned out there was some poison ivy on some of the logs. I had not even given it a second though.....but he sure did.

I sure hate that stuff!! I haven't had it in many years(20+) but when I do it's a mess! Do you remember the movie Mask with Cher? Yeah, picture the kid Rocky in the movie, that's me! I wish my mom would've let my dad take pictures so I could show them off now that I'm older. :lol:

rdust said:
Backwoods Savage said:
The stuff doesn't bother me at all. Poison ivy rarely bothers me either but it was funny watching rdust when he came after some wood. He started picking up the wood a bit tenderly and it turned out there was some poison ivy on some of the logs. I had not even given it a second though.....but he sure did.

I sure hate that stuff!! I haven't had it in many years(20+) but when I do it's a mess! Do you remember the movie Mask with Cher? Yeah, picture the kid Rocky in the movie, that's me! I wish my mom would've let my dad take pictures so I could show them off now that I'm older. :lol:

Though you gotta admit Sam Elliott's Harley was badass though... :coolsmile: ;-)

I am pretty careless with it, but don't get it too bad. Usually just ends up as an annoying rash, usually on my stomach for some reason. My neighbor who I cut with is an older gentlemen. He is not allergic at all and will routinely pull it from logs and trees with his bare hands. I'm talking grabbing the leaves piece by piece to clean the log. I'm not quite that careless.

there's a first time for everything:

Evidently, I missed the PI identification in the winter course given at the local 4-H.....

I cut the ash w/ the fuzzy vines (2" thick btw), lifted it up, slung it in the back of the truck last week....

Yay now I have the rash up and down my forearms. 36 years and I managed not to ever get it. Now I have it bad :)

PS Never brag about something like this...

Thanks for all the tips about Tecnu etc.

I get it bad, makes loving the outdoors a challenge every once in awhile.

First there is a product called ivy block, you put it on BEFORE you mess with it. supposed to be a barrier from the oil. looks like really old suntan lotion, dont even bother trying to rub it in, its going to stay white. second vinyl gloves, the oils penitrate rubber. once done take all clothes and handle them like hazardous material. seperate from everything, take a good shower. they make a soap thats supposed to get the urushoil off, but i find regular soap works pretty well too. SCRUB. after you get out, dont touch anything you wore, unless you got a new pair of gloves etc. the oils urushoil, gets on everything, alcohol only does a so so job.

hate the stuff. have a steriod perscrip on call for when i get it.

Ya I plunked down $11 or so for Tecnu 'extreme' or whatever. Seems to be a glorified skin exfoliation scrub w/ some type of herb in it that supposedly counteracts the Urushiol oils. It works OK.
I gather that it would be better as an 'after exposure' treatment vs an 'after rash appears' lol.
Also been using hydrocortisone creme sparingly. I guess this means I have finally built up enough exposure to actually be allergic to it now. Sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.