wood boiler barometric damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Pirate

Jun 25, 2008
Orange County, NY
I am currently installing my New Yorker Wood Boiler.
The instructions show a barometric damper on the flue.

It has a 6" flue that exits the back. I could put the damper but am not sure what exactly it will do. It scares me to have an area that could be open that close to an open flame.

I will primarily be burning wood. Would like to try coal one day for the heck of it.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks.

This probably belongs in the boiler room but here's my 2 cents. I believe new Yorker wants the damper installed to keep the draft below a set limit. Not sure what it is-1" or less. This is to prevent excess draft and overfiring. The other side of the coin is that some people think it would feed a chimney fire with air. I would probably make an airtight cover to fit over it in case of a chimney fire. My dad had one on his and I can't ever remember flames coming out of the damper. The damper is supppose to prevent situations like that. Just make sure you always keep a load on the is boiler and don't let it smolder. Use it on cold days only, especially without storage, and learn how to maintain it regularly.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.