Wood boiler help - stacking, coals, and other Qs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Borjawil

Nov 30, 2021
Michigan, USA
New to wood boilers. Picked up a 2010 burnrite boiler. Basic thermostat turns on and off blower in the front door. 3 300ft 1/2" PEX loops in polebarn floor.

I'll load the boiler get it going by leaving the door open for a bit, then close door. Usually load in morning and at night. All the wood burns away or the coals go out but do not burn wood on sides of boiler. Usually load around 8-9p, and it's pretty dead if not completely in 12hrs.

I just read that stacking wood long ways front to back is the best method. Also to stack more in front of door. So I'll give that a shot over the next few days.

Above the door is a handle that connects to a piece of steel in the ceiling of the boiler. The steel looks like 3d triangles going left to right, and it should slide freely on the plates it rests on.

Handle is hard to move and I have to hit it with a mini sledge to get it to move. Thoughts on making it move easier would be great.

I understand this needs to be pulled out before open door to allow smoke up into chimney and not in my face. Should it be completely closed/pushed in unless I'm loading?

I don’t know jack about your boiler but using smaller splits sounds like a test you need to try.
NEAT stacking is also key in the wood chamber.

My guess is creosote in the chamber is making the triangle thingy's hard to move.