Wood boiler questions. Sizing, thoughts, etc. seeking HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the ones on the right are the new design. the old design is on the left. not as slick as flying cow's design, but it works for me.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 161
So I am making some progress. I have talked to the Garn rep for Maine - very very helpful - and it looks like the Garn 2000 would be the place to start. I am in the process of designing the system with the reps help and my HVAC guy. The unit itself with tax and shipping is more expensive than I thought by a few thousand. Is there any utility in "shopping around" or am I stuck paying the quoted price from my local dealer? I understand steel prices are relatively high and I am paying for his assistance, and I don't mind that terribly, but the delta from what I expected and what I was quoted is substantial.

Also turns out two Garn 2000's were installed just 20 minutes or so from my home. I'm headed over there tomorrow to check it out. They were just recently installed so they haven't been through a heating season but it will be interesting to see the units in person.

I looked in to the Tarn systems and called the NH number. Seems like they don't make a system that would be big enough for me.

Still considering the Heizomat chip boilers and am going to get a plan together for a potential install. Likely won't go this route though, install cost being one factor, inability to make my own chips being another.

Still lots of planning to do but I think I'm off to a good start. Thank you all.

IMO., the few thousand extra vs buying a gasser and plumbing it to storage would be a wash? Close to it anyways.

But I have a gasser w/storage. When I throw a match i have 165 f water going thru my baseboard in 45 minutes. . 60 minutes and it's 185 and climbing. You won't have that with the Garn.

IMO., the few thousand extra vs buying a gasser and plumbing it to storage would be a wash? Close to it anyways.

But I have a gasser w/storage. When I throw a match i have 165 f water going thru my baseboard in 45 minutes. . 60 minutes and it's 185 and climbing. You won't have that with the Garn.
Yes I agree with that. I'm pretty much committed to the Garn at this point. The unit itself was a bit more than expected thats all. I thought the 2000's where in the neighborhood of $14k-15k before tax and freight.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Status
Not open for further replies.