wood burning hot tub

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard of them and had the opportunity to own one. When we bought our house there was this wood barrel with a makeshift deck built around it and it turned out to be a converted half wine barrel with a homemade snorkel stove in it. When I lifted up the lid to look in there were about a billion swimming larvae in it so the wife and I decided that we would never enter this thing and asked the owner to remove it prior to our buying the house. after talking to the owner about it, he loved it and it was his baby, I thought that it was kind of impractical. First there was no pump or filter on it so the water was not treated and needed to be filled with 800 gallons of water at each use or at least every few days. We have a well and pumping 800 gallons seemed like alot of added work for our pump. And the temperature controls didn't seem to be very easy to control. It took a few hours to heat up but then to maintain the temp seemed like it would be difficult. The chimney was fairly low on this model and smelling smokey after a nice hottub didn't appeal. Mostly is was the millions of swimming things and the general eyesore of this model that was a turn off. Attached is a picture of the hottub, kind of hard to see but it is on the left.

Attachments

• the hottub.jpg
    the hottub.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 945
My wife doesn't quite like the look but I am pretty set on getting
one of these for our family camp where I can draw plenty of
clean enough water from a nearby stream and siphon it out
when we're done. We already have an old stock tank.

Cowboy Hot Tub

If you're interested in this sort of thing also check out Chofu
heaters and Ofuro style soaking tubs. For my money you can't
beat a wood-fired sauna but the tubs can be nice too.

Got any plans for a wood-fired sauna, Burn-1?

Eric,

While I plan to build a wood fired sauna in my backyard in the near future I don't
have any plans yet. I've looked at Rob Roy's book which is good but really slanted to
the cordwood construction crowd a bit more than I cared for. There are some pre-fab
ones you can build but I think I can get what I want DIY

I am thinking of building a ~12x14 shed with 6x12 changing room, 8x8 sauna and
6x8 graywater washroom, rustic since one can never tell what property tax assessors
in NH may do. I'm sure one could find an old wood stove which would work well enough
but I have been looking at the Karhu, Tylo and Nippa sauna stoves since they have an integrated
water tank which you can use for hot water for washing up after. The Nippa stoves have
extensions so you can load the stove from outside the sauna room.

The following is a pretty good link for saunas, banias etc with some info on how
to build one toward the bottom

Saunas, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.