Wood burning insert recommendations not to be used for heat generation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JCheat34

Nov 16, 2021
Richmond, VA
A recent inspection of my fireplace and chimney revealed that the original builders did not properly tile the chimney, and that an 11 inch sleeve would likely not fit inside the chimney as currently constructed. As a result, we are looking into wood burning inserts. That said, I have no desire to use it for heat generation. The room the fireplace is in is not all that large, and we don't have any issues heating our home with our heat pump. Are there any inserts out there without a blower, or that can be used with the blower off?

What are the fireplace dimensions top and bottom, front and rear, including L, W and D?

Inserts can be run without the blower being on.

Find one that comes with a fire screen that allows you to burn with the door open.

Does anyone know of an insert that allows you to use with door open?
All my research leads to either "the manufacturer's guide says explicitly not to" or models that they used to make but no longer can sell in the US due to regulations.

Reactions: EbS-P
Why do you want a fire that doesn't heat? Ambiance? A wood burning insert is just about the most expensive possible way to achieve that. Even for ambiance, you'll need to keep a supply of well-seasoned wood on hand, perhaps more so, because unseasoned wood will smoke up the glass. Heat pumps are nice, but if you have a supply of firewood, free heat is better.

TE

Why do you want a fire that doesn't heat? Ambiance? A wood burning insert is just about the most expensive possible way to achieve that. Even for ambiance, you'll need to keep a supply of well-seasoned wood on hand, perhaps more so, because unseasoned wood will smoke up the glass. Heat pumps are nice, but if you have a supply of firewood, free heat is better.

TE
It's not that I don't want one that heats, it's that the heating efficiency isn't the driving factor for me (I'm in a municipality on hydroelectric that causes my electric heating to be beyond dirt cheap). Many times I've asked about open wood burning fireplaces and people immediately respond to tell me that they are heat negative or how much more efficient wood stoves are for heating (which I always appreciate information, but just trying to head off those responses).

Check out non-cat inserts that have a screen option. That will provide you with the best of both worlds. If the power goes out, keep the insert door closed.

Reactions: thehiggy
Check out non-cat inserts that have a screen option. That will provide you with the best of both worlds. If the power goes out, keep the insert door closed.
I think some of the only ones I've found with the screen / open door option are some Osburns - any one know on any others?
The only way I've been trying to differentiate is if a screen is listed as an accessory on the website, or if the owner's manual doesn't expressly state to never operate with door open.
Also, will the only ones I find with the open door option be non-catalytic? Not as familiar with the actual burning mechanisms, but I guess that might make sense.