Wood burning stove install help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dust608

Nov 12, 2022
Kansas
Hello, I've been reading on here for the past few years but I'm finally getting ready to install a new stove and had a couple of questions. I pulled out an old buck stove that was probably made in the 80s. And will be replacing with a drolet deco nano (1000 sq ft home). It will be in an alcove and was curious if I need to run chimney pipe all the way to stove or can I use dvl and adapter at a support box (probably use the duravent 11 inch p/n # 6dp-cs11)? And also will the 11 inch support box work as an insulation shield? Because there is some condensation on the chase cover so I'm probably going to have to put up an insulated ceiling. The opening for alcove is 52 inch wide and 69 inch tall. I think I gave all relevant info but if I missed something please let me know

IMG_20221112_141929.jpg IMG_20221112_141942.jpg

Hello, I've been reading on here for the past few years but I'm finally getting ready to install a new stove and had a couple of questions. I pulled out an old buck stove that was probably made in the 80s. And will be replacing with a drolet deco nano (1000 sq ft home). It will be in an alcove and was curious if I need to run chimney pipe all the way to stove or can I use dvl and adapter at a support box (probably use the duravent 11 inch p/n # 6dp-cs11)? And also will the 11 inch support box work as an insulation shield? Because there is some condensation on the chase cover so I'm probably going to have to put up an insulated ceiling. The opening for alcove is 52 inch wide and 69 inch tall. I think I gave all relevant info but if I missed something please let me know

View attachment 302628 View attachment 302629
It doesn't look like you alcove is wide enough or high enough

It doesn't look like you alcove is wide enough or high enough
What do you mean? I have metal for heat shield around the stove and 20" above. The install instructions from the manufacturer say I will have plenty of clearance for the stove. If that's what you were talking about. I'm not sure alcove is the best word ( it's higher than the peak of the house, just the opening to room is 52x 69). It may just be a chase, not sure. If any of that helps. Thanks

Your manual states you need 20" on either side of your 18.5" wide wood stove, so that is 58.5" wide.

It also says you need a min 72" ceiling in the alcove, but you have 69". I think what you are saying is that you have something like what I have drawn here.

Screenshot_20221113_061746.jpg

What do you mean? I have metal for heat shield around the stove and 20" above. The install instructions from the manufacturer say I will have plenty of clearance for the stove. If that's what you were talking about. I'm not sure alcove is the best word ( it's higher than the peak of the house, just the opening to room is 52x 69). It may just be a chase, not sure. If any of that helps. Thanks
Does the manual allow for reduction of alcove clearances? I didn't see it but definitely could have missed it

Does the manual allow for reduction of alcove clearances? I didn't see it but definitely could have missed it
Yes it's on page 21, allows for 12 inch with steel shield(67% reduction). And yes it's a chase not an alcove like mongos drawing . I appreciate your help.

Screenshot_20221113_092702_OneDrive.jpg

Call SBI and ask if they allow reduction in alcove installs

View attachment 302628 View attachment 302629
( edit: it's a chase not an alcove)

( edit: it's a chase not an alcove)
The stove is going in an alcove. Unless you are putting the stove Infront of that opening

This is definitely an alcove install and needs to go by those clearances. Even if the side clearances can be met with shielding, there is concern about the clearance to the low front face of the alcove.

The other thing that needs to be correct is the chimney pipe. If it is from the 1980s it may not be HT2100 rated.

Last edited: