wood/coal stove questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpreb928

Jan 5, 2015
northeast ohio
Hi guys im a newbie here and have a few questions for you. I recently installed a brunco stove insert in my house with 8in ss chimney liner and the manual says to burn soft coal only which is only cause of the epa correct? would burning wood cause any issues? Cause I get all the wood I want for free. And also it burns wood rather fast because of all the air underneath the shaker grates I think would there be any way to modify the grates to more of a wood stove type like maybe just laying a plate over the grates? Thanks

Post pics of it inside and out espaecially of the air controls. Some can be modified some cannot we might be able to give you a better idea if we can see it. I do have to question why you installed a coal stove if you want to burn wood?

It was free and cant afford a new stove yet it has 2 spinner knobs on the doors
20150105_190100.jpg20141019_161327.jpg

Should burn wood ok, not great, but ok. This has nothing to do with the epa. It's more about the grate design and air supply being optimized for coal. More importantly is there an ashpan door missing? If so that could be a problem.

Yes you need an ash pan door for sure it will be uncontrollable with out it

Does the pan seal so no air can get in there? If so you are ok if not you need to do something else to seal it. Or get a wood stove

Then it should be fine if it is sealed there should be no air coming up through those grates and it should work just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.