Wood Cook Stove (w/Oven)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you like that Alderlea? I just saw them for the first time on-line today...I think we're going to put one in my mother's house (to be built by Christmas I hope)?

The Heartland Oval I found...is only two years old and the lady is asking $1,250 - that's a smoking deal I think.

Awesome deal. I am really curious how the stove works out for you. Keep us posted.

The Alderlea has turned out to be a winner. It's exceeded our expectations. The stove is easy to run, low maintenance and works over a wide temperature range. We particularly like the residual heat that gets stored up in all the cast iron. The stove emits a very even warmth. It only radiates from the front. That keeps our house comfortable without overheating the living room. Even if the fire has died down because of a smaller fire, the heat pump often doesn't come on in the morning and the stove is still warm to the touch. That said, the ash pan is a waste. We don't use it at all. But the firebox is deep and has a generous front lip, so it is not a bother. But it would be nice for PE to offer the stove at a lower price without it.

IMG_2929.jpg

There it is.

I now have to figure out how to move all 640 pounds of it to our place.

Here is a blog post showing where it will be installed:
http://www.slowbellyfarm.com/2010/08/wood-cook-stove.html

Or...here is a shot of where it's going:
P1070316.jpg

Any ideas on how to move this beast? I called a local rental place and the guy suggested a piano dolly with a hydraulic drop bed trailer ($75 for the day for both). Problem with the piano dolly is the water reservoir side. The legs are recessed because of the water reservoir on the right side, so getting a dolly under the legs is impossible.

Nice! It looks brand new. I'd look at removing as many parts as possible. Does the reservoir detach from the main stove body? Doors, griddle covers, the warming back, (hotwater tank?), etc. That should get it down to where 4 strong guys, one on each corner, can move it. Then maybe put a sheet of 3/4 plywood bolted to an appliance dolly to move it?

How much cabinetry is being removed besides the stove in the kitchen? It looks like it's going to take some surgery to install it in that location.

Here's a shot of the one I saw locally. It had lots of room to breathe.

Attachments

• heartland-oval-_web.jpg
    heartland-oval-_web.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 695
I don't know if the reservoir is removable, it's 3:15am here and I just woke up saying to my wife "I figured it out! I designed a way to do it in my sleep!" I hate when the sleeping me is smarter then the awake me.

So I'm sitting here on the couch sketching it out...and it should only take two to move. This will require many pics!

...as for the where it's going, yes it will require LOTS of surgery! Removing cabinets, part of the wall, building a non-combustible alcove and hearth pad, etc, etc. I have to get up into the attic and make sure there are no obstructions above that part of the kitchen.

Very nice! We await the arrival of OUR Antique Cooking Stove by the end of September, once the restoration work is complete. I've explained to the wife that we'd have to undergo an ADDITIONAL renovation to our already recently renovated home, in order to actually COOK on it, but it will be fully ready to do that, should we want to.

Been doing lots of investigation thru a variety of sources, to learn more about the particular foundry that ours came from (Boston Stove Foundry Company, of Reading, Massachusetts) and have learned a little about the stove. We've got more digging to do, but it isn't as easy as you might think, to come up with data in this case.

-Soupy1957

The heat shield/warming shelf should be easily removeable and prevent damage to them if you screw up and the stove tips to one side or something. A few bolts.

I can't imagine the water reservoir would be terribly difficult to remove, again some bolts.

The grate, etc., should pop right out for cleaning, so take them out. The doors, I don't know. I've removed the doors from two different cookstoves for some repairs and they were not difficult. At least on those two stoves.

I actually completely disassembled a stove similar to this one for rebuilding, couple parts were broken inside. It was a lot of work, but it was a matter of removing a BUNCH of stovebolts. They were covered with years of soot and some had rust. Lots of WD-40 and patience.

But if it were me, I'd remove the back shield and shelf, any doors I could, the reservoir, and the grate. That is about 5% + of the total weight, so not a really big help, but some. Plus, any door handles are then out of danger of being broken off. Plus, you do not want to bent or dent the back shield, any damage will show forever.

I have installed two cookstoves in my house, removing the first one, all by myself. By hand. It was work, but I did it ok, and I am no strongman. I used heavy plywood or boards beneath the feet of the stoves and rolled the thing across 3" steel pipe pieces. I put cardboard and plywood down on the wood floor for the pipe to roll across. I suppose an appliance mover sort of thing might do just as well and be easier than moving the pipes back to front. But I am a lightweight and had no trouble actually moving the stoves once they were up on the boards. I got them up by carefully lifting one end, then the other, with a five-foot pry bar, though anything like that will work. Put some cardboard, or whatever, between the prybar and stove so you don't chip off any enamel, if appropriate.

Getting the stove off my pickup, with, unfortunately, and uphill slant out of the truck bed onto my patio...I used longer 2 x 10 boards [tailgate removed from the truck so it would not be bent]. I hooked up a come-along to the pallet the stove was on and slowly cranked it out, onto the boards, down the boards to the patio. I recommend doing this very, very slowly...took me a couple hours to do it, worried that if anything went wrong, I'd have 700 lb. of iron and steel coming down very hard.

Worked great. A forklift would be nice, but not an option up here on my steep hillside and narrow driveway access. Just be sure to protect the floor and watch the door frame, etc.

To move the stove a bit, to clean or check some stovepipe or whatever, I simply set a little piece of lumber beneath the stove and carefully use that long pry bar to scoot the stove out from the wall a few inches. Takes about three or four minutes. The lumber is to put the end of the pry bar on so it does not dent the floor.

By the way, for anyone looking for a wood cookstove, new or used or antique, the largest firebox you can get is your very good friend. Some gorgeous stoves have these tiny little fireboxes and you will be attending the fire several times an hour until the oven is heated up enough.

That's awesome!

I did the exact same thing with our stove in Colorado...a Vermont Castings Encore. Used the come-a-long to unload it by myself onto the front porch, then used it to pull it into the house and position it on the hearth.

I will remove everything that I can, just got an email back from Aga/Heartland support and the reservoir can't be removed.

Bummer.

Well, I completely blame this forum string for the fact that my wife and I decided to drop more cash than we could imagine and order an Aga Heartland Artisan cookstove from chimneysweeponline.com. I had zero interest in switching stoves til I began following this thread and became fascinated with the Artisan.

I ordered it 8 weeks ago and the update is that it will be at least 3 more weeks. Meanwhile, I moved the Rais out into our greenhouse [attached room, so we can still get good use from it] and am now baking out in...the greenhouse. Of course, I was excited and immediately after ordering I began to relocate the old stove. Now, with this long delay, it is winter here and no heat in the kitchen. Oh, well, the greenhouse opens into the kitchen so I can crank up the Rais and keep it decent enough in the kitchen.

Anyhow, I shall be happy to report further once the Aga arrives. I must figure a way to move the 850 lb. thing off my truck and up onto a porch and so on. I have an idea. A friend will loan me the "forklift"-type attachments for my tractor bucket and that will help. That and a heavy ramp of 2 x 10s will...maybe...do the trick. I will be working alone, so.....

850lbs for an Aga! That's a beast.

I have to gather and post some more pics. The Oval is fully installed and working! The part you'll find most interesting is how I managed to move it.

I built crate of sorts for it, then used piano dollies on either end after carefully lifting it onto the crate I built...then we (two other guys) and I were able to very easily load it onto a trailer with a hydraulic bed. The trailer was $70 for a full day and worth EVERY penny. The entire bed of the trailer dropped via hydraulics almost perfectly flat to the ground.

Check around with major equipment rental companies in your area...most use them to load and transport scissor lifts because they drop so low to the ground. Check out this site, you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about...it was THE key for picking up the Oval, driving it 100 miles to the house and unloading it. It was ridiculously easy!

Lift-A-Load Trailers

Your local rental place might not have the exact same trailer, but I'll bet you can find one similar in function.

any new news on the cookstove soupy.....
rod

Second firing under way! First firing showed a few leaks, ended up with a fair amount of smoke in the house. Sealed it up today and she's burning really nice right now.

Oven is sitting at about 500 degrees in this pic from a few hours ago!

P1070527.jpg

Wow, she's beautiful. 500F in the oven?! Bring out the pizza!

Status
Not open for further replies.