Wood Furnace or Basement Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

highandlonesome

Jan 9, 2022
Central Newfoundland
Heating 1000 sq foot house with blaze king ashford. Work pretty well but rooms in the back can get cold on the very cold nights. Recently put in a basement by jacking existing home up. Its not insulated right now but I will do that once i sort out heating. I'm trying to figure out if I want to put a wood furnace down there and run ducts or simply put another freestanding stove down there. I'm gone for 10 hours Monday - Friday and no way to come back home. My stove keeps up with that pretty well upstairs. Its a blaze king ashford. I need similar reloading for the basement unless the heat will stay in the house long once furnace burns out. The furnace I can get it a Kerr Scotty. I'm in Newfoundland and its very popular here and no issue to get help or parts.

I dont have access to the basement from inside right now so for the next year or two i'll have to walk around which isnt a problem but something to consider. Would I get simalr burn times with a furnace as a blaze king? Loading only the furnace would be nice and keeping the stove only for cold nights as its easier to stock up wood down in the basement than in the wood box out front. If I run two stoves I'll have to reload both every day. I need heat throughout the days with three reloads on the coldest days at most. Any advice would be great. The prices are pretty much the same where I am as I have to run a chimney next to the existing one anyway so price a nominal consideration

I'd work out the insulation first as it can dramatically affect how much heat you'll need in the basement.

As for which to get, if it's wide open I'd put a king down there and run it on low. No ductvwork, and limited hassle.

I wouldn't store wood down there.

I wish the King would require a 7" flu. If I put the 8" in i wont be able to go back and put in a furnace if it doesnt suit my needs. With that said, I run my Ashford on a 7" flu which is an inch oversized

The Scotty is about A 3.5 cf firebox from what I can find and is pretty old school design wise. I would be worried about burn time if you are heating both levels with it especially if you are loading the Ashford every 8 hours when it’s real cold.

Thanks for the reply. You’re in Manitoba too so you know cold. I wonder if it makes sense to put the 8” flu up and order a blaze king king. Run it for the winter and see if it’s sufficient. If not I can always pull the stack and put it on my garage and put the king out there. Then swap 8” pipe for the 7” as a larger hole the better given I have to drill through stone veneer

The other issue is I don’t have any ducts or floor registers. So going with a stove I’d likely need supply registers and a cold air return. Anyone have any advice?

Actually I just looked closer and they list the firebox as 27” x 18” dia so it is a cylinder, over all volume would be ok but the only way to know how much of it is usable would be asking the company. With a big enough box you could get away with two loads a day but it won’t be nearly as fuel efficient as the BK’s are.

Yep we do get a tad chilly here, today was above freezing 48 hours from now the forecast is for -33, gotta love it!