Wood Id from a text message?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. I can see a couple of them right from the house. They are younger trees but smooth bark.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yup. I can see a couple of them right from the house. They are younger trees but smooth bark.

That would be awesome if it was. Still might turn out ok if its pin. Puzzleing part is being smooth bark but doesnt have all the small limbs growning everwhere.

Jay, I've never seen a pin oak without all those small limbs. We have several on our place and a couple I've been thinking about cutting for firewood. I just hate to think of all that trimming. Maybe if I ever buy a small saw for trimming it won't be so bad though. Still, one has to dispose of the small stuff. Nice to have a kid around for that task.

does look like some kind of red oak.

doesn't have to be pin, many red oaks will have fairly smooth bark when young and on the limbs. could be scarlet oak if it didn't have the characteristic perfusion of small downward pointed limbs. Scarlet tends to be an upland oak, growing on drier sites, while pin tends to be a swampy oak. There is also a northern pin oak that I think grows in the upper mid west, but I don't know anything about it.

red oaks can grow fast also - last spring me and dad cut one with very wide growth rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.