Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddw

Jan 30, 2014
Georgia
I got 2 loads of this today. A friend asked for my help in getting rid of a few hanging limbs he was uneasy about. I'm still trying to hone my id skills. I'm thinking an oak of some variety but I'm not sure. The wood without bark looks paculiar as does the dark center. I know some of yall will know right off. Thanks
IMG_0599[1].JPG
IMG_0600[1].JPG
IMG_0599[1].JPG IMG_0600[1].JPG IMG_0601[1].JPG

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Oak, looks Red to me.

Thanks guys. Oak is it then. I also got some Pecan. I've never burned Pecan and was wondering how well it burns. It'll be next years wood.

Reactions: bigbarf48
Thanks guys. Oak is it then. I also got some Pecan. I've never burned Pecan and was wondering how well it burns. It'll be next years wood.

Burns well. Smoke some BBQ with it too ;)

Oak for sure. I am not sure what type, but you have more oaks down in Georgia than we have up here.

got some Pecan. I've never burned Pecan and was wondering how well it burns. It'll be next years wood.
Great stuff, similar to Hickory, but I don't think you can get it dry in just one summer....

Top one looks like red oak. Lowed has some nice inexpensive moisture meters for when the time comes to burn it

Looks like red oak to me. Thought pin But Its Too Red On The Inside

Last edited:
I don't really run into it much here . Mostly red and white ok . Thanks for the info. I wanted to say the bottom one was hickory tho can't really tell.

All of the pictured wood came from the same tree, an oak. I just mentioned the Pecan though none is pictured because as the oak fell it damaged a limb on the Pecan so we cut that limb off.

Status
Not open for further replies.