Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodburners

Aug 26, 2021
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any idea what wood this is? Guy selling it has no idea as it’s from his friend who’s a gardener!

I’m in the UK if it helps.

Thanks

7C4E7888-C527-4AC2-8E91-35C2BF26489E.png 9AE86791-7D65-42BC-9BE7-44C70726A426.jpeg 08064DD3-7B23-4B7E-BA26-127EB4CD05D9.jpeg

Last edited:
In the UK now I have no idea
Welcome to the Forum

Reactions: Woodburners
Hard to tell from that photo. I'd guess some type of birch, beech, or cherry.

My first thought was also cherry, black birch.

Birch would be my guess. Get it split and sry off the ground soon. Rots easily.

I personally would stay away from wood bucked into slivers like that. Impossible to stack.

I have "stacked" a single layer of "cookies" (resulting from my tree company not being able/wanting to cut on proper size) on top of a normal stack, vertically, like a row of dishes in a dish washer. Yes the tops touch but there is enough airflow to dry.
Similar to having uglies on the top of a stack. Not ideal indeed.

From the branch pattern it looks like white pine. You is in the United Kingdom, do y'all talk English over there, or what?