Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Psass55

Oct 19, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
Just scored a huge amount of red oak but also a bunch of this other that I’m not sure of. No leaves on trees and no bark on any of it so I can’t identify it, any ideas what it is? Want to make sure before I spend all the time loading and processing. Thanks!

08E2C155-12A6-4D02-8C36-9769FBB460F1.jpeg 98F05949-8DAD-4A71-ACA7-F2664CB49126.jpeg 845CA187-8676-4D18-AD39-B2BF99BD098D.jpeg A607261D-B310-4814-ABB6-FF11F3016C73.jpeg

I also thought maple at first glance.

I also thought maple at first glance.
Agree. I was trying to see some super-flaky bark to tell if it was Sugar. Bark really doesn't look like any of the Maple I see here, mostly Red and Sugar. But could also be Silver, as patrick said..
The wood itself looks fine to me--I'd grab it. 👍

My 2nd guess would possibly be ash? Not sure if I'm seeing the classic tunnels on the the wood in picture 4 from the EAB bug. It would explain why there is no bark, that leans me a bit more to ash as well? Either way...maple or ash, burn it. Both good wood to have. I prefer ash over oak in my experience.

It does resemble ash. Looks like good firewood.

My 2nd guess would possibly be ash?
It does resemble ash. Looks like good firewood.
Now you guys have me second-guessing..
Like mcdougy said, it's got the Maple rays and split-face look of Maple, and that brown center in the two-rounds pic. But then, also in that pic, the end-grain looks like White Ash rings I see here, very pronounced. And almost looks like an Ash "pinhole" in the center of some.
But the bark looks nothing like White Ash. Could it be Black or Green ash? I dunno, never seen 'em here, just White.. 🤔
@nrford @CincyBurner 😏