Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

num1hitter

Feb 9, 2012
Reading, PA
There is a lot of firewood to be had in a local state park for $15 a cord. This is a picture of one of the larger trees down close to a road. ID would be great to determine whether or not to get the permit. Thanks a lot for any help!

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 151
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 185
Pics are tough. I see young red oak?

Northern red oak. Hurry and get it before someone else grabs it.

Should smell like the oak boards at your local lumber yard.

Reactions: nrford
Yep, Red Oak, so it won't help you for next winter. That's fresh, so I'd have it split and stacked for three years before I tried to burn it. Have you got next year covered?

For $15 a cord I wouldnt get too picky unless its poplar or cottonwood, there has to be plenty of maples, okas and birches.

$15 a cord for oak here and it wood be gone in a few days, if not in a few hours by an army of wood scrounges. It costs $20 a cord here for a permit to glean logging sites in the national forests of slash and cull logs, and for the last 2 years there have been no sites to cut at on the west side of the Cascades.

Run and get that wood, right now! Tell them Scotty the Overkiller sent you...

Reactions: TreePointer
Thanks everyone for the input. I am good for next year with firewood so I am working on the 2 years stash now. I am hoping to get a few cords at that price but only one cord at a time. I am going to stop by this afternoon after work.

Go. Get. It.

100% sure red oak. Great score if you need wood to burn in 2-3 years.

I also see it as red oak. But I'm better at upright trees in person than pictures of downed trees. I find that oak in a sunny driveway seasons real well in 12 months.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yuppers on the red oak but as Woody stated, that stuff needs to be split as soon as possible then I'd wait until the winter of 2015-2016 at the earliest but would probably give it one more year. I hate burning wood that is not dry enough.

Check around there and see if there is any white ash cut down. If so, jump on it fast!

Thank you, Dennis.

You are welcome hickory. We'll be waiting for you to give us some of your wisdom!

Status
Not open for further replies.