Wood ID? Please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kjahnz

Burning Hunk
Oct 14, 2012
Minnesota
IMAG0107.jpg I get a lot of this stuff, it's standing dead.IMAG0108.jpg Is this a type of maple?

Reactions: raybonz
Im going to say Elm. What type though im unsure of possibly American Elm.

Splitting when it's at this stage is easy. Not stringy at all.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I had some elm that looked just like that. Some was really stringy but some was not bad to split at all. Those pin holes in the bark were what led me to believe it was elm I may be wrong though.

For Sure.

Elm for sure. You can see the beetle galleries on the second photo.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Yes. What Paul Bunion said.Dutch Elm Diease.

American Elm. A real PITA to split when green, but I love getting it at that stage. Easier to split and dries quick.

From the pictures it looks like Red Maple to me. If there are a lot of these trees standing dead at about the size of the tree in the photo, American Elm seems more likely, since Ditch Elm Disease and Elms Yellows disease kill lots of small elms, but the pics look like Red Maple to me.

Most definitely not red maple but indeed it is elm. You are also correct that in this stage most times it splits pretty well. Cut it green and it is another story.

much appreciation for all the posts. I have more confidence now when ID ing the elm in my area. I can id the maple when it is alive during winter, but if it is standing dead, it's alot harder. I have another variety that I would like ID ed, but can't get pictures til later. My guess is a type of ash, looking forward to the help offered. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.